Burned quart oil 150 miles ! Engine Strong!

revedup

Nov 18, 2005
S.F. Cal,
This 220,000 mile 1989 mustang 5.0 5speed is running strong.
It did burn 1 quart oil in a 150 mile run in hot weather.
It doesnt relly leak.
Ive been driving this car over 10 years .
Its never been apart the engine!
Im at a crossroads.
Iwonder if it's valve seals?
I imagine to change them might be a job and i only got 1 car.
Danger to change them would be dropping the valves in the cylinders right?
I guess you have to rotate engine to make sure each piston is at top dead center to do each valve seal.
I know i should compression test wet and dry, aint done it in awhile.
Guess i'd need a valve spring compressor too?
car runs strong and idles smooth,its why i doubt the compression is lowor uneven.
I wonder if my rings are are allowing oil into combustion chamber?
Time to smog in 2 months!
Im thinking just maybe valve seals need changing!
Any engine pros, stangsters, 5.0 guys and gals want to recommend comment, ect any and all ideas will be apreciated
Thanx to all who at least read this
This 5.0 engine has been amazing, and im concerned about it's future!
Help save a 5.0!!!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

personally I would just buy another shork block and piece together the goodies you want on that engine and then just do an engine swap. that way you can continue to drive your current car remembering to add oil all the time unil the new engine is built and then swap them.

220k....its getting a little worn out. I think you are in for more than just valve seals. I think you should definitely do a comp check and report the results. The rings are probably not in the best of shape...and im sure the guides and seals arent the best either. You have a big decision to make here soon. Might be better off picking up an explorer motor and tossing the long block in there!

friend of mine just drove his 222k mile 95 gt from myrtle beach to VA with the engine knocking , we just a month ago put a Fcam , Gt40 heads and cobra intake on it .......he drives it home with it knocking the whole way , get it here , pull the motor out , flip it over , 188 dollar crank kit from advance auto in it .....come to find out the balancer had slipped which is probably what whipped the bearings out , got new balancer on it as well and put it all back together , been fine so far , over a week now .....holds 40psi oil pressure when hot .....