Buy a used S197 GT or a NEW V6????

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I haven't had a mustang in a few years and am about to remedy that problem. I have been looking at alot of low mileage 2005-2009 GT's, but I am starting to also consider a new 2011 V6. I can get a base V6 for about what a used GT is going to cost. It makes close to the same power as a 4.6 GT and it makes more power than any of the Fox bodies I use to drive. I also like that plain look of the V6 better. I just can't get past it being a V6:p. Not sure which way to go opinions:shrug::shrug:

Oh and whatever I buy will be a daily driver that won't be heavily modded if at all.

• Sponsors (?)

A manual tranny V6 car with a 3.31 rear is capable of busting off mid to high 13 second quarters and still kick back about 30 MPG on the highway. That means it runs almost as fast as a 05-10 GT and gets better mileage and the insurance is less, what more could you ask for in that comparison?

And if you do want to mod it, the parts and tunes are available.

And for just less than $2000 MSRP more you can get the killer V6 Performance Package that comes with a ton of content for the money and you will have the best handling and stopping Mustang they build right now.

2011_Mustang_V6_Performance_Package_X2.sized.jpg

I'm in the same boat. I was set on getting a new v6 with performance package. The only thing that was holding me back is that I would miss the v8 sound. Don't get me wrong the new 2011 v6 to me is the best sounding v6 on the market. I'm going to look at a used 2007GT today. Its selling for 17k with 28k miles on her. Then I will go with the E-Force super charger.

To me, half the appeal of the '11 models are the new body lines. It took me a while to get used to the back end, but now that I am, I actually really like it. And the front end is probably the nicest I've seen on a Mustang since the '03-'04 Cobra.

Yeah I do like the lines of the '10-'11 cars better for sure. I guess if I go with a 2011 V6 the question then becomes do I buy a brand new one right now or wait 6 months program cars demo cars ect. to become available at a lesser price.

Yeah I do like the lines of the '10-'11 cars better for sure. I guess if I go with a 2011 V6 the question then becomes do I buy a brand new one right now or wait 6 months program cars demo cars ect. to become available at a lesser price.

They aren't keeping them long enough on lots for there to be any of those cars available at any great discounts later on.

Join the MCA for $50 and then you can get x-plan pricing and save money that way.

is that pricing better than getting invoice?

It could be, depends on what other costs you are paying, fees, etcetera.

Invoice for the car I have spec'd with shipping is $24,008, x-plan including dealer fees is $24,190, then there is the FDAF and fuel fees.

Some dealers are going below those prices and have heard of dealers waving the FDAF, just depends on who you are dealing with and how bad they want the sale.

X-plan does good things for your position with the dealer because Ford subsidises the sale on these deals, the dealer gets money back. X-plan also limits what fees the dealer can charge you and the amount of the fees.

The chassis is more refined on the 11 v6 versus 05-09. Power will be very similar but you'd have to wind the v6 out a little more. Have not seen power curves but the 4.6 3v should make power lower. Prob a drivers race between 4.6 3v and 11 v6. The v8 sound is HUGE to me. You will miss it because the v8 sounds good at all rpm. I got my 08 GT brand new for 18900 in dec 08 (only 12 miles on it) so there must be better used deals than the one you found. Good luck

The chassis is more refined on the 11 v6 versus 05-09. Power will be very similar but you'd have to wind the v6 out a little more. Have not seen power curves but the 4.6 3v should make power lower. Prob a drivers race between 4.6 3v and 11 v6. The v8 sound is HUGE to me. You will miss it because the v8 sounds good at all rpm. I got my 08 GT brand new for 18900 in dec 08 (only 12 miles on it) so there must be better used deals than the one you found. Good luck

honestly i think the duratec V6 sounds better than the old 4.6 modular engines. it just sounds so mean from the factory.

honestly i think the duratec V6 sounds better than the old 4.6 modular engines. it just sounds so mean from the factory.

I haven't driven one yet, but I did see a post from a guy who said that he had to pop the hood on his rental Mustang to be sure it wasn't a V8. They sound like V6's from outside the car, but apparently not from inside.

I haven't driven one yet, but I did see a post from a guy who said that he had to pop the hood on his rental Mustang to be sure it wasn't a V8. They sound like V6's from outside the car, but apparently not from inside.

All the videos that are out there where they are driving one with the stock exhaust, at least on manual tranny cars, the interior sound is a very strong growl above 4,000, sounds mean.