Buy new 2011+ mustang vs supercharged fox / newedge ?

• Sponsors (?)

Buy a clean 4 cylinder fox and 4v termi swap it . A pulley swap and tune could put you close to the coyote stock HP. You'll have the best of both worlds, a lightweight fox that grabs attention and a semi modern engine that packs a punch.

And then you can learn to drive it.
Or spend months wondering how the 2003 version of the car that came with that engine handed his ass back to him despite less weight, and more crowd appeal...

Could it be.......Aww snap!!! those damn pesky sensors again...this time telling the ECU to scrub timing when the rear tires start spinning.

Reactions: 1 user
Or spend months wondering how the 2003 version of the car that came with that engine handed his ass back to him despite less weight, and more crowd appeal...

Could it be.......Aww snap!!! those damn pesky sensors again...this time telling the ECU to scrub timing when the rear tires start spinning.
Like I said, learn to drive it.

You are incorrect in assuming that an older 5.0 fox isn’t a computer controlled car, and is less likely to break. It’s almost the complete opposite. Firstly, anything after 87 has an ecu, as it is fuel injected. The age of the car guarantees that you’ll be fixing stuff...all the time. Lastly, The Coyote engine N/A power level stock starts where you’d “hope“ to even be able to get to on an early model 5.0.

Emphasis on "all the time". Lol. But not really lol cuz its not lol. Haha. And ive been wrecking mine more often than not recently so thats not helping.

But to the OP. Well ya. ^^^. 2 totally different cars, mindstates imo. All depends on what you wanna do with the car and your goals. But most importantly $$$. Its easy to get out of control. Ask this guy i quoted. (As i deliver my car to a fab shop to get a tube front lol)

Last edited:
But most importantly $$$.

Ain't that the truth. Whatever budget you set aside for your build, double it. If you can pull it off for less than your double-estimate, you are doing good.

These cars are money pits, the size of the money pit all depends on your attention to detail. With aftermarket parts vendors drying up for these cars (20 years ago you had 15 different vendors making shorty headers, now you have 2-3), and costs going up, gone are the days of these being cheap cars to buy and build. If you look around the site here, you'll see many guys have some serious money into their builds.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Ain't that the truth. Whatever budget you set aside for your build, double it. If you can pull it off for less than your double-estimate, you are doing good.

These cars are money pits, the size of the money pit all depends on your attention to detail. With aftermarket parts vendors drying up for these cars (20 years ago you had 15 different vendors making shorty headers, now you have 2-3), and costs going up, gone are the days of these being cheap cars to buy and build. If you look around the site here, you'll see many guys have some serious money into their builds.
If I had all the money I’d be in a 11-14 Shelby or a c6 zr1 ( used ) .

Having both foxes (79, 82 and 89), an 08 Bullitt, (bone stock) and a new 19 Gt auto, it depends on what you want to do.

A hotrod/project car is not a good choice to drive daily. My 82 has about $5k in a 331 engine with a c C4, 400 hp. No ac, no od. 410 gears. To get more power, it needs a blower, or a larger or more radical, and expensive engine. Should be mid to high 12 sec car.

The 19 Gt has 460 hp, auto, air, ass coolers, Sirius, etc. Its quieter, more comfortable, and per road tests, nearly as quick as the 82.. It and Bullitt gets driven 10 to 1 of the others.

That said it seems much easier to make power with the efi 4.6 and coyotes than with the pushrod 5.0 and carbs.

Reactions: 1 user