Buying a new shortblock soon. Opinions on companies? DSS? CHP? Rick91GT? ..

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
As most of you know. My engine was pretty screwed up after the whole "My brother went joyriding in my car blah blah" thread... well, still no answer to all that other than my headgaskets were fried beyond belief, and im sure my rings etc are pretty well done also.

So im not even going to attempt to ressurect that car without a new shortblock. My parents agreed to help me pay for it, until we find out who was responsible.

I dont see any reason to replace it with another 302, so im thinking a 331, All forged.
Id like to get a different block.. but i cant afford a dart.. not many of us on here can:shrug:
Are ford "R" blocks still around anywhere? what do they cost? can they handle decent power past our stock 450~ish-safe block?

Im going to want a new cam. i hate my ford 'b' cam.
and my heads are twisted wedge heads. cnc ported/polished... so they were major overkill for my 302 with 480 lift.

anyways.
I dont know what to go for.
ive looked at DSS shortblocks
ive looked at CHP shortblocks.

but id prefer to go with rick91gt's company if his prices are comparable.
rather give my money to a board member:nice:
plus i saw the pictures of other blocks he shipped out:D

Well..
I dont even really know what to ask.
So, any advice, or opinions you have are appreciated
I might even consider a 408 :)
but i dont know if my march bracket kit, or water pump etc will work with it:shrug:

Thanks guys
Derek

• Sponsors (?)

fivespeedsteed said:
you are all motor right? go with a 347, you can get an iron dart? right?

Yep, i am all motor right now.
Ive wanted a turbo, but could never afford it:nono:

ok, sounds like its time to talk to rick.
hopefully he sees this thread soon, so i dont have to call and track him down.
itd be nice to have a conversation on aim or something to figure some things out

im thinking of switching to internal balance maybe?
just curious what id need to do about my flywheel and damper.
i have a TCI rattler, not sure if it has a removable weight. i doubt it.
and i have a ford racing billet steel flywheel. dont remember if that had a removable weight either

Honestly I have hear some really horrible reviews on the
D.S.S. short blocks.People were aparently having issues
with them.I was told that their customer service was the
bottom of the barrel.Just do a search and you will see.
The CHP short blocks are really good quality my friend purchased
one and loved it! Also their customer service is top notch too. :nice:
The best of luck with your purchase.

ehh NO CHP I had a piston crack at 5k miles on a SB. Might not have been there fault but an N/A 347 should not have these problems. IMO

I'd have mine built by someone who depends on an engine to win...

If you are tossing around the idea of a 351 based stroker...do it. But I would go bigger than a 408....maybe 427. If I would have had the money I would have went with a 351 based stroker instead of the 347. And as far as the company goes, I have only dealt with CHP. They are a bunch of liars and they took forever getting me my stuff but the quality is great and I have had the engine in my car for 1 year and 9,000 miles and not one problem at all.

ive been reading up on 351 swaps.

with all the added parts.
headers, midpipe, distributor, oil pan, lower intake, brackets, spacers.. balancer and flywheel too, but those will be changed anyway. not going with 50oz balance again.

thats alot of extra money, if i want the extra ~60-80 cubes:drool:

i gotta price this out. see what it would cost me to swap to a 351 based stroker. versus dart 302 based stroker. the 408 is probably cheaper. but by how much. decisions decisions...:shrug:

i dont know what to do!
Derek :crazy: