Buying a Used Block I Have a Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 87397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87397

Hey I'm getting a used block from someone local that's already 30 over and has about 5k on is since it was rebuilt. All I'm getting is the block that I want to build a 331 or 347 out of. Should I just get it honed and cleaned up or go a bit bigger on the bore to make sure everything is just right. If I go 40 over what does that equate to cubic inch wise? I may have to do it for the stroker anyway. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

imo if it only has 5k on it and your getting a deal, why spend more money on it defeating the purpose on your interest on the block in the first place. Dont overspend like many of us have done plety of times. Just leave it as is

if your going to build a 331 or 347 the block is bored out to what it needs to be allready. I would go with the 331 that way you don't have to cleance the block. Just hone it to clean up the cylinders and put it together. That other .010 of an inch isn't really going to do anything for you. Your stroker kit is going to have 30 over piston anyway.

I was thinking I'd just freshen it up but I wanted to make sure I didn't need to go any bigger in order to do the 331 + I'll have it checked and get it honed and cleaned up and call it good. Thanks for the input everyone.

If the bore is in good condition, a hone may be all you need. If you were to go .040 over, you'd end up with a 333 instead of a 331, or 349 instead of 347 using the formula: bore x bore x .7854 x number of cylinders.