Buying a used car accross province ... HELP!

PULMEOVR

I need a bigger E-Penis.
Sep 29, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hi guys,

In August I am planning to buy an '01 - '03 GT from anywhere in Ontario. Anyways, I would like to know how to go about doing so?

What would I need to do? Do I need a trip permit for when I buy the car (to have temp plates to drive it home)? After I purchase the car, do I have to obtain insurance on it immediately or could I drive it home first (could be several hours driving)? I know when you buy a use vehicle you pay tax on it. I believe it is the PST 8% tax. Do I pay that tax immediatley after I buy the car? When you buy it from a dealer, could you pay the tax to them or must you go elsewhere (the bureau)? Any advice/tips on buying a car accross province would be GREATLY appreciated!

Sorry about all the questions. I'm 19 and I've never purchased a car before, let alone one from accross the province.

Thanks guys :)

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

When you buy from a dealer in Ontario you will pay 15% tax 8% sales 7% GST at the dealership in most cases as they tend to want to ensure the title gets changed over. If you buy certified it will come with an Ontario Safety & E-Test. You can tow it home on a trailer and insure it when you get it home. You need proof of insurance in Ontario and unless you pay cash you'll need proof of insurance for your loan(banks require the loan to be covered) I'd call the MTO in the closest Ontario city and just ask what is required, or better yet call the MTO where you live as they should be able to direct you what is required.

Thanks for the help.

I thought when you buy a new car you pay PST + GST. When you buy a used car you only pay the PST. I was told you only pay GST once (when the car is new). Are you sure about the GST + PST when used? I'm paying cash, so I won't need proof of insurance for the loan.

PULMEOVR said:
Thanks for the help.

I thought when you buy a new car you pay PST + GST. When you buy a used car you only pay the PST. I was told you only pay GST once (when the car is new). Are you sure about the GST + PST when used? I'm paying cash, so I won't need proof of insurance for the loan.

Yes if you buy from a used car dealership you will pay both taxes, If you buy private you don't pay GST however you will need the used car info package from the MTO, I think it's $20.00 ( the private seller is suposed to supply this however I have never supplied them when selling a used car I let the buyer pick it up). Since you live in Ontario you can plate the car at any MTO office call your insurance company and drive it home.