Buying a used tuner??

InTheWind07

Aug 25, 2010
New Bern, NC
Have a guy that is local selling a Demolet Intake and SCT Tuner for $200 bucks, came off an 07' GT just like mine. My question is, will the tuner work on my car? I know that you have to submit the engine code, which is different on most all cars to get a custom tune, so will I be able to just plug this in and go, or will it have to be reset completely or what? Please help, this deal is tooo good to pass up! Thanks.

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, so if the guy did reinstall the factory tune to the car before he sold it, I can have Brenspeed or someone send me new tunes to use with the SCT tuner? Provided I give them the engine code and whatnot, right?

Right, PCM code and serial number from the tuner.

So if he didn't do that, can I not use the tuner at all? Is there no way to restore it to a default setting or something to make it usable for me?

I'm sure SCT could do it but at the very least they would charge you to do it and would probably make it not worth messing with.

I researched some stuff on SCT's website. Apparently they can take a "locked" tuner and unlock it for about $200 :O

Waiting on the seller to get back to me and tell me if he put the car back to stock before he sold it. Otherwise, I wouldn't be getting that great of a deal. $200 to unlock and then the price of custom tunes :(

There's also more than one SCT tuner out there, so you need to find out which one the guy is selling to see if it is really a deal or not. The most common tuners you'll come across are the X2, X3, and SF3. The only one I would even consider buying used is the SF3. The X2 and X3 cost nearly the same price to buy new as the SF3, but they have no pre-loaded tune files. IIRC, they are capable of holding up to 5 custom tunes, but any tunes that are already on them are not for your car so those tunes would be basically useless to you and would be taking up room in the device that could hold a tune you want for your car. The SF3 comes pre-loaded with several tunes for many different models, so you don't have to buy a custom tune to get some use out of it, plus it still holds some custom tunes if want to go that route.

Since the X3 costs almost as much, people who bought it and now want to sell it as used tend to think it's worth more than it really is given the availability and better value of the SF3. Just my $.02

As far as unlocking one, the last time I looked at the SCT website they charged $150 to unlock an SF3.

A new X3 or SF3, they are the same basic unit, just that the SF3 has canned tunes already on it, can be had new for about $379.

The other thing to consider about a used tuner is whether it may be damaged too.

Just pony up for the new one and then you have the right one for your needs and a warranty.

I've emailed back and forth a few times with him and he has an X2, I just e-mailed him telling him how to check to see if it is unlocked. Are you saying that even if it is unlocked I shouldn't get it? Can I not get custom tunes for the X2? Just change basic parameters with it myself?

I've emailed back and forth a few times with him and he has an X2, I just e-mailed him telling him how to check to see if it is unlocked. Are you saying that even if it is unlocked I shouldn't get it? Can I not get custom tunes for the X2? Just change basic parameters with it myself?

X2 is yesterdays technology, probably won't have continuing support from SCT for much longer.

Do it if you want but I suggest getting a X3/SF3 with a proper tune for your car, you will be much happier in the long run.