c-4 trans with reverse man valve body help

faststang347

Jun 27, 2006
i seem to have suddenly lost second gear i mean park the car and get back in its gone like some one stole it what could cause this i have a hurst quarter stick for a shifter have checked the cable linkage and it seem to visibly shift into second but during drivind it just stays in first drive shifts just fine any help would be great guys

• Sponsors (?)

As noted above, drop the pan and make sure the vb attaching bolts are tight.

Also, the 1-2 shift valve can stick and cause this. It can be removed, the bore cleaned, etc. I had some success with doing this once.

I need to check, but I think a C4 has second gear applied by the servo applying the intermediate band. If the servo apply piston seals die, it wont apply. If it gets out of adjustment, it could cause this. Check to see if the adjustment bolt is tight and the locknut is still there.

Being a manual reverse v.b. it probably wont't utilize any shift valves as it no longer needs to shift automatically. 2nd is controlled by a servo applying the intermediate band. The fact that you never get 2nd (as opposed to getting second but it slips) makes me think shifter adjustment or maybe the anchor on the band ripped off.