C&L MAF/CAI...or stock intake?

NWJason

Jun 13, 2008
Seattle/Tacoma
So I have a 73mm C&L maf And i was told to put on a BBK CAI to free up some HP and get a nice sound, except I looked at somewhere on the internet that you cant use a CAI with the C&L stuff or the car will run too lean. Im confused because i was told to do this by a guy who works on fox boddies, I was wondering why the previous owner had the stock intake boot instead of a pretty fender mount CAI and it seams that the previous owner knew what he was doing when he chose the mods my car currently has.

question is I want to run a Shiny Fender CAI for the looks and sound But dont wanna jack up the cars HP or performance, any help on what to do here??

oh yeah and would i gain more power with the C&L 76mm set up?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the problem was from the air flow coming out of the elbow from the air filter messing with the maf's readings. I would call C&L tech dept. and talk with them and search the tech forums on here and corral.net I know it's been posted about.

Instead of having the MAF "chip" at the usual 12 o'clock position it's at the 3 o'clock position. The air rushing around the outer bend in the CAI will go straight into the sampling tube of the C&L housing.

Before I clocked it my car would buck just a little at very low rpm's while driving, now in the 3 o'clock pos I can pull my car out of a 1k rpm bog just fine. Different cars might need a different position, I suggest moving the MAF in 1/8 turns to see whats best for your car.

Sell it on ebay and buy yourself a 75 or bigger pro m or PMAS meter.
Then for a cold air intake use something along the lines of a AFM power pipe or maybe something like the moroso (which can be found dirt cheap on ebay).

The mac or bbk CAI has always looked ghetto to me. Besides unless you are chroming out the entire engine, it will just be a diamond in the ruff.