C4, C6 AOD Any others?

• Sponsors (?)

I can not even believe you are asking this question.But here you go.Any C4 or C6 with a small bloack bellhousing will bolt up in your car to a extent.I think you can use some of the stock crossmembers but I went ahead and bought the aftermarket one.I went from a AOD to a C4 and now am in the process of putting a C6 in there.I had a small bellhousing C4 from a old cobra mustang 2 so it fit really good.If you look around at the early and mid year trucks and vans with a 302 in them you will find a C6 that will fit your need's.A local guy I know that has put 3 C6's in his mustang and his friends said he had to shorten the stock drivline about 2 inches to keep it from vibrating.

Forgot to mention I noticed the power increase after ditching the heavy power robbing AOD.I am hoping the C6 does not rob to much of that power I just gained..lol

art carr and some of the tranny spec's make a kit to put ANYTHING in a 5.0 stang

700r4 th350 you name it

they are hi-dollar kits though....about $800

i would go c4 myself....strongest tranny in history my .02

c6 are heavy

TheRipper said:
I can not even believe you are asking this question.
Why is that? Seems like a reasonable question to me :shrug:

You need to get an aftermarket flexplate for the C4 that is about $75. And also be aware that there are several divverent variaties of C4 out there with different size bellhousings, case or pan fill, column or floor shift etc...

Get the later model case fill with a floor shift lever on it if you plan to use the stock shifter. And personally I would stick with a C4 because it weighs alot less and will suck less power than a C6 with heavier internals. If you got alot of power and are afraid of breaking it then try the C6 but I probably wouldn't.

That is one reason I went with the C6 this time instead of a C4 because of breakage.The C4 is awsome with a lot of money sunk into it.But if you don't want a lot of money in your tranny then get a C6.It would not hurt me to lose 40 lb's and help make up for the wieght difference..lol..I like the older C4 with the small bellhousing I had.It came out of a cobra mustang 2.The only issue I had bolting it up to my 91 was the starter would no longer fit anymore because of the small bellhousing.But if you get one off like a 1996 mustang it is a small high torque starter just like the race car style ones you buy out of jeg's.I paid around $125 at autozone for mine with a lifetime warranty.Just find someone in your area that has bought one and talk them out of there warranty info and then that part will only cost you a six pack... :cheers:

Let me ask this:

are those rpm/speed calculators right? With the c4 it says you'd be pulling almost 3K on the highway going 75 with 3.08's. I'm sure most of us have gone beyond 3.08's long ago. How do you get anywhere without OD but still have racing gears?

crazypete said:
Let me ask this:

are those rpm/speed calculators right? With the c4 it says you'd be pulling almost 3K on the highway going 75 with 3.08's. I'm sure most of us have gone beyond 3.08's long ago. How do you get anywhere without OD but still have racing gears?
75??? That's above the posted speed limit around here - nobody goes above the posted speed limit on this board :rolleyes: (sorry, couldn't resist)

After having my license suspended the second time.......

I started driving slow. Going from boston to amherst (97 miles away) at 55 mph is TORTURE!!!

In the midwest, speed limits are 75 mph!!!! My friend and I had tears in our eyes when we saw our first "speed limit...75" sign. We took a picture of it