c4 experts advice needed valve body question

66coupe289

Sep 8, 2006
Garner, NC
I'm rebuilding the C4 in my 66. It will not shift to 3rd no matter what and it clunks on the 2-1 downshift. When I took apart the VB to install a Transgo shift kit I noticed all the valves had springs except for one. The hole that the valve goes in looks like it has a recess for a spring. I have searched the net and have not found anything about it. Also it does not have any checkballs only a small black rubber disc in one corner. In the middle of the VB there is a pocket that looks like a ball goes in. I would like a detailed exploded view of this VB or someone who knows for sure if it needs a checkball and a spring on that one valve. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00548edited.JPG
    DSC00548edited.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,832
  • DSC00547edited.JPG
    DSC00547edited.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Sponsors (?)

It depends on the kit you bought, from your pics it looks like someone put in a competion shift kit already.
On a 66 valve body there is no spring on the Cut Back Valve but in many shift kits a ball is installed and sometimes the valve is ground down a little.
the rubber disc on the lower left is there from stock BUT it is removed in lots of kits.
In a 66 there is no check ball in the center hole. In 64 valve body there is a check ball there.
You didnt say what you intend to do with the car,,, stock ,, or competition and you didnt say what kit you bought.
Buy a good shift kit and not the lowest price kits. I buy the B&M trans pak kits as these kits offer 3 stages in one kit from stock to competion.
The part number you should have bought is 50227.

Thanks for your reply Tom. I'm going to keep the car stock I just want it to have all 3 gears. I'm not a tranny man by any means but I have rebuilt 2 AXODs and a C6. The shift "kit" I bought is the eBay special Transgo shift improver kit. All it has in it is 4 springs, a drill bit, and a tapered plug that goes into the pump to keep the convertor from ballooning. As far as I know the tranny in the car is stock but it has been rebuilt in the past. I'm planning on adding a 5th clutch to the forward drum and setting the clearances to .030-.040. Both clutch pack clearances were over .090 when I took it apart. I'm also going to drill the case for the #9 thrust washer lube. Any other mods I can do to help my C4?