C4 Transmission Rebuild Questions

Live2shred303

Jul 20, 2012
Ive got a c4 tranny lying around that im gonna rebuild. Ive got a haynes manual for it. Is this the best manual i can get? Or are there better ones available?

Also what position should i lay the transmission out on the table. On its side so i have access to the pan? or flat on its pan?

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing wrong with the Ford shop manuals either. FYI, I've always disassembled components for rebuild into 3 piles.... good, junk and maybe. The good pile is the stuff you can put back without question. The junk pile is the stuff that is obviously trashed. The maybe pile is the stuff that needs a hard look before deciding to use or not. Just don't throw away ANYTHING that you aren't sure you can get a replacement for as you may find something that you need to remanufacture.

when rebuilding a C4 the bell housing has to come off to remove the pump.

one bit of advice when pulling the trans apart, especially since this is your first time, as you pull the parts out of the trans, lay them out in order so that when you go to put them back in, you have the order required and you dont have to hunt for parts.

the ford shop manuals from the late 60's and early 70's are great.
I cleaned the outer case while it was sitting on the floor in a big tray to catch all the nasty stuff.
You'll want to keep everything clean clean clean.
Dissassembly and reassembly were handled on a workbench. I'm not sure how an engine stand would be helpful since many of the parts go in through the front of the case.

happy rebuilding,
dave