CAI and tune caused some codes

gmantheman

Dec 30, 2007
Escondido, CA
I installed my JLT and 89 tq tune from Bamachips today. I drove the car for about 2 miles and the check engine light came on. I ran a diagonsitc and came up with these codes P0171 - System too lean (Base 1)
P0174 - System too lean (Base 2)
P1000 - OBD Systems Readiness
I cleared the codes and then drove home. On the way home the car shut off while making a turn. I turned the car back on and proceeded to drive home. I re-checked for trouble codes, but no codes were found. I re-checked the CAI and all connections were tight. Has anyone else had the same problem when they first installed the CAI and tune?

• Sponsors (?)

If you checked all connections after the MAF and have no leaks, email Doug and let him know what codes you're getting. He'll get you fixed up. Every car is different.

The P1000 is nothing to worry about.

The other two are just due to either a leak in an improperly installed intake, or a tune that is not properly setup. Maybe the tune does not match the intake you are using.

After checking it again, I notice that the inlet tube connecting to the elbow as loose. I forgot to put a clamp on that section. Basically I took the intake apart and put it back together again, making sure everything was tight.

It is much stronger compared to stock. For about 3 months I was only using Doug's 89 tq tune and no CAI. Just yesterday I received and installed the JLT w/updated tunes. I am using an updated 89 tune. With the addition of the intake, I feel a slight increase in power.

How does the car drive with the tune. I don't think I could go back to the way the car drove before the tune.

When I first got my car, I installed a 93 octane tune with the stock intake. It was a pretty noticeable gain but when I added the C&L with 88mm maf tube and new tune, it was like a whole new car !! My car was putting down 290 rwhp and 302 rwtq with just a VMP 93 octane tune and C&L with 88mm maf tube. Regardless of muffler or no muffler, there was no power difference. Now that I've added CMCVs and UDPs, I'm at 302 rwhp and 318 rwtq. :D

I am interested to see what I dyno now with an intake a tune. In April I dynoed with just the canned 87 tune and steeda udp. The avg of three pulls was 282 rwhp/ 300tq. Last month I dyoned again, but at different dyno. At the time I had Doug's 89 tq tune and no CAI the avg of two pulls was 280 rwhp/300 tq. I am thinking the reason why I got higher numbers with canned tune is because I dynoed in the evening. When I dynoed with Doug's tune it was during the day. Another important thing is that it was two different dynos.

I am interested to see what I dyno now with an intake a tune. In April I dynoed with just the canned 87 tune and steeda udp. The avg of three pulls was 282 rwhp/ 300tq. Last month I dyoned again, but at different dyno. At the time I had Doug's 89 tq tune and no CAI the avg of two pulls was 280 rwhp/300 tq. I am thinking the reason why I got higher numbers with canned tune is because I dynoed in the evening. When I dynoed with Doug's tune it was during the day. Another important thing is that it was two different dynos.

The MOST important factor is that you were at a different dyno.