California foxbody owners

powernexcess

Aug 21, 2005
joplin, mo
I might be moving out to california and was wondering about the inspection regulations. I don't have a smog pump due to running gt40 p heads. Will this cause a problem when getting my car legal? Is their any other advice that you can give me to prep my car before I leave. Here in Missouri we dont have emissions testing.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

LOL.. Dont move here... emissions are retarded!! You will need your smog pump because the computer will throw a code when they hook up to it and stat that it is missing. Just make sure you get all of your smog crap back on like the pump, egr, pcv, cats. There cant be any codes in the system even if the check engine light isnt on. All I have to say is goodluck!!

sounds like I'll just have to trailer my car home every couple of years to get it inspected in missouri, so I can get new tags.

I did that for a while and didn't get caught, but I wouldn't recommend it. People told me that if the law enforcement suspected you of having a "street racer" car then they would inspect your car for any illegal modifications. If any were found you would be penalized and put on a special smog nazi list and subject to more inspections and testing than normal. And if the State of California finds out you have have been registering your car illegally out of state, it ain't gonna be nice.
So, I moved back to Washington where I pay $35 a year to drive my car, as it should be.

put the smog stuff back on and just run the head tubes to blanked off heads and drill a relief hole in the tube block on the passanger head - they'll never know the heads are not drilled - the diverter valve only sends air there on start up and smog testing is done warm when the dioverter valve sends the air to the cats.

Like everyone else said, you'll need all your stock smog stuff. California has the dumbest emission laws anywhere. And even if you have a simple CAI, prepare to fail the smog test. Stupid.

I wouldn't say that happens every where in Calif.

I've had the CAI on my car for 8 yrs and have gone through 4 different emissions checks so far with it, and not once was I ever told I'd fail because I had the CAI on my car.

Some techs understand and might over look some things, and then you've got some techs who think there little gods.

LOL.. Dont move here... emissions are retarded!! You will need your smog pump because the computer will throw a code when they hook up to it and stat that it is missing. Just make sure you get all of your smog crap back on like the pump, egr, pcv, cats. There cant be any codes in the system even if the check engine light isnt on. All I have to say is goodluck!!

Eh, they don't plug into pre OBD-II cars. A CEL will fail the visual, but stored codes will not.

I sold my '89GT and got the '68 so I wouldn't have to play the smog game. Then I went and got the '84 SVO which barely passes even totally stock. :rolleyes:

Yeah they dont plug into OBDII vehicles. But throw all that **** on there, theres not THAT much to it. Just a pump + cats and some diverter valves. Its a pita, but small price to pay for living in such a beautiful place.