Calling 2+2gt/distributor Curve

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
2+2GT,
Last fall we were having a discussion concerning distributor timing curves in this thread:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/2-2gt-distributor-curve-questions.848318/

You gave some great advice, but never actually answered my last set of questions. Life sidetracked me and I am just now getting back to this issue. Please elaborate, if you would, for me. If the specs shown for a BOSS 302 are at distributor RPM and the degrees are camshaft degrees, it seems that if I'm checking/setting my curve with a timing light (with advance functions) both the RPM and degrees of advance should be doubled? If that is the case total/maximum advance (in crankshaft degrees) should be 17-22 at 4000 RPM, 14 1/2-20 at 3000, 5-9 1/2 at 2000, 0-3 1/2 at 1500 and 0-1 degrees at 1000. Is this correct?
Thank You,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

The specifications are intended to be used in a distributor machine. I have never tried to compare/transpose them to in-car adjustment. Now you've got me curious.

Me too, that's why I'm asking.:p It just makes sense, when you figure that distributor rpm is 1/2 of crank rpm and camshaft degrees are 1/2 of crankshaft. It just seems that 4000 rpm is a bit high for an engine to reach "all-in"timing advance.
Thanks,
Gene

Me too, that's why I'm asking.:p It just makes sense, when you figure that distributor rpm is 1/2 of crank rpm and camshaft degrees are 1/2 of crankshaft. It just seems that 4000 rpm is a bit high for an engine to reach "all-in"timing advance.
Thanks,
Gene

Hi, Forget about deciphering the numbers, as was mentioned, those are based on factory settings as interpreted by a distributor machine's analysis. What are you trying to achieve? Looking for a performance curve or stock curve? A performance curve, would get all of your advance (total) in early (2500-3000 Rs) much of this depends on the cam's designed power band. Simply stated.