calling all 69 GT owners

bnickel

Founding Member
Aug 21, 2002
lubbock, texas
i beleive i have uncovered a new discovery in the mustang archeology field. after a little websearching it is my belief that ford had some sort of ram air system planned for all 69 GT's. what leads me to this belief is that almost every 69 GT i have seen has had an opening stamped in it from the factory under the "non-functional hood scoop". on my car this opening was covered from the factory with aluminum duct tape. after looking at the pics of the cars on the 69 GT registry site, it became obvious that all of the cars there that the hood open, had this same opening. what i need from you guys is simply an email stating that your car also has this same opening, and if possibel the vin, if you don't want to the vin, that's ok i understand, also if you do own a 69 GT and haven't yet registered it with the 69 GT registry please do, it is free to register your car. here is a link to the site http://gt69registry.home.comcast.net/

i have also emailed the owner of the 69 GT registry, Bart Boster as well as mustang monthly, mustang and fords with my "find" and my hypothosis. Bart is also aware that most of the 69 GT's had this hood but he didn't have any more than i do at this point. here is a copy of the email i sent to mustang monthly and mustang and fords, which also includes the original email conversation between Bart and myself.

Hi, my name is Bryan Nickel I live in Lubbock, Tx. i have a 1969 Mustang GT and think i have a rare find for you. My car has the "non-functional hood scoop" as did all 69 GT's, however my car has a factory hole cut in the bottom of the hood, it is smaller than the opening for a shaker and actually has the same dimensions as the hole that the service replacement hoods had but the "x" cut out. I know it is factory because when i purchased the car in 1984 from the original owner this hole was covered by the factory with aluminum duct tape. I recently registered my car on the 69 GT registry and was looking at the pictures of other cars on the site and noticed that almost everyone that the hood open had that same hole cut out. i emailed the owner of the regsitry, Bart Boster and asked he if had any info on this or if he had any contacts for researching this and he emailed me back and said he had noticed the same thing but he didn't have any more info on it either. My hypothosis is that ford had some kind of ram air system planned for these cars and scrapped it after production of the hoods began. i was wondering if you guys had info that would be helpful or any contacts that might know of any possibilities. below is a copy of the email conversation between myself and Bart Boster i have also copied Bart on this email, i know he has been very busy and hasn't had a lot of time for the site lately, so i would be glad have my email address listed for contact info if it's okay with you guys, thanks.

Sincerely,

Bryan T. Nickel
[email protected]

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the email. Yes, my car also has the hole in the hood and I am positive the hood is the original that came on the car, although someone did cut the "X" out of the hole at some time in its life (it looks like they did it with tin snips). Two other GTs here in Utah that I have looked at also have the hole in the hood and I have never seen a non-GT with the same kind of hood. I have also wondered about the hole but have never been able to find any information about it. I also have wondered if the original plans were to make all GTs ram air cars. We will probably never know.

You have probably noticed that the website has not been updated for a long time. I really wish I had the time to keep it up to date. I have about another 20 cars that have registered but I just don't have time to work on the site anymore. I keep thinking I should take it down so people don't get upset when they register their car and it never shows up on the site. However, I still think enough people visit it for information and I am collecting the registration information even if it doesn't get updated to the site, so I guess the site still serves some purpose. I would really like to rework the site someday and make it easier to use, but who knows when I will get time.

Hi Bart, my name is Bryan Nickel, i have a 69 GT coupe that i have registered on your site. i'm glad someone is trying to document these cars since they are last of the "v8 interceptors" so to speak. i have a question that i hope you might be able to answer and it is something i just noticed while looking at the pics on your site of everyone else's cars. i noticed that most of the cars on the site, well the ones with the hood up anyway, had a hole in the hood under the scoop, my car has that same hole, when i got the car the hole was covered with aluminum ducting tape and it was definitely factory because it had lime green overspray on it, the car had only been repainted once in it's life and the color it was repainted was black jade, it wasn't even a good repaint because they didn't do the jambs or anything. i bought the car from the original owner and she told me that was the only paintjob the car had ever had, so again i know the duct tape was factory. i have never seen this type of hole on any other 69 ever until i saw the pics on your site. mach 1's didn't have them nor did any other 69 that i am aware of have them, most just had the scoop bolted to a flat hood, i have seen the hoods with the "x" in the center partially cut out and i know they were a service replacement hood. i have talked to several people about my hood and everyone always says it has to be a service replacement hood, but i know it's not because of the original owners descriptions and accounts of the car. my question is does your car have the same hole in the hood? can you shed any light the subject? i am beginning to wonder now if there was supposed to some kind of special ram air induction for the 69 gt that scrapped after production of the hoods started, like maybe a shaker style setup or something similar and the mach 1's got the final version of what we now know to be the shaker. any thoughts or ideas on this? your input would be greatly appreciated on this, and who knows maybe could be the first ones to find that connetion to some secret project that never happened or something. get back with me as soon as you can this really has my interest sparked. thanks and best regards.................Bryan

• Sponsors (?)

obeobrian, or 2BaV8, would it be possible to post this as a sticky in one of the forums for future reference? i think it would be beneficial to all of us 69 GT owners and maybe all of us mustangers in general.

also if anyone else has this type of hood even if your car isn't a GT go ahead and email me anyway, if fot no other reason than to dispove my theory, thanks everyone.

bnickel said:
i think it would be beneficial to all of us 69 GT owners and maybe all of us mustangers in general.

...you mean BOTH of you? :p :lol: :rlaugh: :D

Just kidding man, you gotta be happy owning one of the rarest classic stangs of all time (the '69 GT)...

Hmmm, this is a strange thing indeed. Unfortunately there are very few open hods to help verify this though. There is at least one there that did not have it, but that particular car has some obvious replacements on it anyway. It had standard seats with deluxe doors and wheel, but the square clock instead of round suggests it's originally a stock interior, so who knows where the hood came from.

I just find it hard to believe though that Ford made a completely different hood for GT's?!?!?!?!? It seems ridiculous. Although, the Mach 1 was kind of a mid year release wasn't it? Still, I thought for sure that a GT could certainly be had with a shaker option. Very weird indeed. perhaps is was simply meant as an opening to let fresh air in and nothing more. What really blows my mind though is that you say the factory used duct tape?!?!?!?!? That is scary.

yeah pak, the hole is not the same size as what a shaker would have. have you ever seen a hood on a mach that has a hole in the hood with an "x" style cross brace? same hood only the cross brace was punched out at the factory. this is also the same type of hole the 68 1/2 cj cars used too. i think that if you tried to open the hood using the shaker style opening, the front would of the opening would be further forward than the scoop sits. i was planning on doing the same thing on my car, probably going to use a 68 1/2 cj style gasket as well. as far as the duct tape goes it wasn't your standard gray vinyl (?) duct tape, but rather the actual aluminum duct tape that is used by heating/ac guys. it is definately original and the only thing i have ever done to the hood on my car is remove that tape, when i was 16 and didn't any better, that was a long time ago. some people beleive that the mach was going to have the same or similar type of ram air as the 68-1/2 cj,and i think the gt was also supposed to get it as well, maybe before the mach even, we may never know, but i am trying to find anything i can that will confirm or deny it. as far as your hood, i could probably make a template for you if you like. might be a couple months though, i just had surgery on my shoulder, so i have to let that heal a while before i start messing with the car. let me know