Cam bearing wiping, to change or not to change?

snovak

Oct 9, 2020
Croatia
Hi!

Long story, but there are 300miles old cam bearings (Mahle performance).
I am changing mains and rod bearings, cleaning engine due to gold oil.

Would You change these or leave them as they are? This on picture is #1 which tool most damage, more to back less polishing there is...
They are polished at bottom.

Thnx for suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_201820.jpg
    IMG_20220714_201820.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220714_201805.jpg
    IMG_20220714_201805.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Sponsors (?)

Can you feel the mark with your finger?

The way I see if, you’ve gone this far, and cam bearings are cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looks superficial to me it is really bad only when a cam bearing starts flaking. I would bet that if you replace the next will do the same. Or it was ever so slightly distorted during installation. RUN IT!

Reactions: 1 users
V block the cam with a dial indicator and check for straight (it is probably straight within a half thou)
Those bearings do not look all that bad to me (there has to be some wear some where)
It's the clearance you are worried about

gold oil.

oil touches every single internal part of the engine and some of it stays inside passages

if you had metal in the oil, some of the metal flake is stuck behind the cam bearings. Remove them, have the engine baked/washed/etc than have new cam bearings installed

at the minimum, have the engine washed out real well, and most shops when they run 'em through the jet washer, the cam bearings will be damaged anyway. Thus, replace them.

And one other issue. If you don't replace them and a few thousand miles down the road your oil pressure is down, are you gonna question your choice to leave them?

• Agree
Thnk guys.
According to common sense and that I had engine out, I changed them. They were performance ones, I changed with regular.
Unfortunately can't mic bearings. They sincerely looked like they 'adjusted themself to cam/bores' but I didn't want to take a risk...

Camshaft is new Melling, no sign of wear, few scars here and there, goes out with 2000 grit polish. Bearing journals took less damage than few lobes (only scratch, cant feel it with fingernail, and again, polish with 2000 grit removes them).

Heads are on, pistons in bores, so I cant jet wash engine, but I have in plan to splash it really good with lacquer thinner and brakecleaner and blow all out with compressed air.....

Wish me good luck.... :-(

Thnk guys.
According to common sense and that I had engine out, I changed them. They were performance ones, I changed with regular.
Unfortunately can't mic bearings. They sincerely looked like they 'adjusted themself to cam/bores' but I didn't want to take a risk...

Camshaft is new Melling, no sign of wear, few scars here and there, goes out with 2000 grit polish. Bearing journals took less damage than few lobes (only scratch, cant feel it with fingernail, and again, polish with 2000 grit removes them).

Heads are on, pistons in bores, so I cant jet wash engine, but I have in plan to splash it really good with lacquer thinner and brakecleaner and blow all out with compressed air.....

Wish me good luck.... :-(
Definitely the best long term solution to have replaced them. You can get one of those air powered blowers that takes mineral spirits to clean out the engine real well.

So replace the pump[ and reassemble it
Done it to my boss car in the 80's 3 times
Know the feeling.. It's a sinking feeling
Sure to be solved real soon
Good luck (again)
Have at least three shots of something stiff before tackling that job (again) this time around

• Haha