Engine Cam Question

Middleagecrisis

Aug 23, 2020
Seguin
Looking for some feedback (idle quality and power band) from anyone who's run either of the following HR cams:

Isky 371265275: Valve Lift Int/Ext. 0.500/0.520, ADV Duration Int/Ext. 265/275, 0.050 Duration Int/Ext. 218/228, Lobe Center 112
Lunati 51023: Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .522/.522; Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/279; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 215/224; LSA/ICL: 112/108;

Car is a 1993 GT weekend driver, fresh factory forged piston 302, mildly ported GT-40P's with Alex valve springs (.530 max lift), Typhoon intake (70MM T/B) with 30 lb. injectors, aftermarket Dyna-Mod ignition module and coil, off-road pipe dumping into a Magnaflow catback w/dumps, AOD with 3.27 gears. Currently, I've got the stock converter, but will probably put in a ~2500 converter when I install the engine.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont have experience with either of those cams but the specs look in the streetable range for the 302. I'd go for the Lunati if given the choice of those two.

On the stall converter I would recommend at least a 3000 for use with the 3.27 gear. The lower displacement 302 is probably gonna produce less stall speed than the advertised rating of the converter. Big displacement engines with higher tq will generate higher stall speeds. The 302 is not a tq monster and the actual stall speed will usually be lower than advertised.

I have a Crower 15512 cam with specs in the same range as you are listing, maybe slightly higher.
Crower 15512: Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .496/.517 (.527/.544 with 1.7RR); Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/286; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 222/228; LSA: 112;

Idle quality is still good. My combo is very similar to yours as well - stock bottom end, GT40 3-bars with smoothed intake and exhaust ports, 1.7RR, untouched Explorer EGR upper and lower intakes, 70mm TB and EGR, 24 lb injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, MAC equal length headers and full 2.5" catted exhaust, T5 conversion with 3.73 gears.

Sound clip of idle - steady around 800 rpm ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXOE5GYj4U

I had a stock AOD (including converter) with a Lentech VB when I first put my car on the road (bought it disassembled). Worked great until I cooked 3rd gear power shifting at 5500 rpm back in the spring. I did the T5 conversion in June when I did the 5-lug conversion as well (not relevant to the question you are looking to have answered).

I think either cam should work fine with that combo. I had a Comp Cams XE270HR that I contemplated putting in when I did my build. It probably would have given me a little more bottom end than I have today.

Higher stall converter would only be needed if you NEED to launch the car, otherwise if just cruising around, it is not needed - stock will do fine. When I was still running 19 lb injectors with this combo I would run a marked 1/4 mile on the street, launch off idle, power shift at 5500 and cross the 1/4 mile mark at just under 5000 rpm doing 102/103 mph (my car with me was about 3750 lbs). I was happy with that. I never got to test with the 24s before the trans gave up and haven't tried with the T5 yet.

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I ordered the Lunati 51023 the other day and am anxiously waiting for it to get here.
Kruisr: Thanks for the sound bite, sounds good!!!! I don't expect the AOD to live long. Even though it's in good shape, my previous experience with them is stock ones don't last long under even minimal abuse. A 5 or 6 spd is in the future at some point.

I cooked three in my old F150 towing the occasional trailer! This was with an aftermarket cooler, mild shift kit, 3.55 gears, and a stock converter. Keep in mind the total trailer weight probably didn't exceed 6K pounds and I always kept it in Drive. Just a poorly designed transmission, IMO. Mine would probably last forever if I drove it around part throttle and never abused it, but what Mustang owner does that, lol.