Cam Questions For An Aod Mustang

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I have a 90 GT AOD with 3.73 gears, 65mm TB/spacer, and under-drive pulleys....I am about to put in a 5.0 motor from a 96 Explorer and don't know if I should just put in my old HO cam or if there is a better cam for a Daily Driver..........and I'm looking to stay low budget on this motor so I can replace brake lines and other parts while I have the motor out.

• Sponsors (?)

Daily driver? put your stock h.o. cam in, and swap out the valve springs for a set of TFS ones. Then put on a set of 1.7 RR and you'll have about the same lift as a B cam but with much better idle quality and drive ability.

I don't have the cash right now to go with the 1.7's but I do want to replace the springs, I have seen less expensive springs from Alex'sParts.com, any idea if they are ok or do I need to spend more on TFS? So long as I get the springs done now can't I put the 1.7's on later without too much work? While the motor is out and apart I want to get most everything done so I don't have to pull it again.

I don't have the cash right now to go with the 1.7's but I do want to replace the springs, I have seen less expensive springs from Alex'sParts.com, any idea if they are ok or do I need to spend more on TFS? So long as I get the springs done now can't I put the 1.7's on later without too much work? While the motor is out and apart I want to get most everything done so I don't have to pull it again.

Compare the true price of Alex's springs vs. TFS. Do they come with the springs, retainers, and valve seals? Who makes his springs? Not knocking them as many guys run them. I went with the TFS ones as I like to know who makes the parts I put on my car. Think I paid $150 for them.

Yes if you put those springs on you will be fine if you go to 1.7's. I see them all the time on the boards used for anywhere from 100-150 for the Crane/Ford ones. You want pedestal style with those heads.

That is a good point, TFS does come complete and Alex's don't. Will the pedestal type just be a easy swap or will I need to change push-rods when I do get 1.7's ?

Short answer. Depends. Are the heads milled. Spring height. Deck height. Head gasket thickness. etc etc.

Best bet is to spend $20 and buy a comp cams pushrod length checker, and check the swipe on the valve tip. Pedestal rockers use shims to adjust the preload not the correct valvetrain geometry.