Cam Talk

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like youre better off saving and gettting a op end kit such as the Trick Flow. They are a proven combination rather than a mismosh of parts
just my opinion but the gt40x turbo swirl are kinda high for what they are, the trick flow 170's aren't much more and make more power. for the cam, the e303 will be ok for a street car. When looking at cams check out the rpm range to match w the rest of combo and your inteded use. The gt40 heads, intake, and e303 is/ was a popular choice but there are better choices now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I highly recommend going to TFS or AFR heads over the GT40x heads. Trick flow is going to a 170 11r design that will actually increase ptv clearance. You can run a better cam with those heads. I've run an e cam for a few years. It's a descent cam for mild builds but there are a lot of grinds that are better. I prefer a custom but if you're going with an ots cam check out a TFS1,or a cam from COMP CAMS/Lunati. You want to match it with the entire combination ie heads,intake,exhaust,rear gear ratio,intended use etc. If you are replacing the top end you will need to address the MAF meter/injectors/fuel pump.

Reactions: 1 user
Gt40x heads and e cam is a pretty good combo of parts with a gt40 intake. I can say for sure it's a proven setup, not a mismosh of parts.
I just wouldn't pay retail for the x heads. Maybe $600-$650 for a nice used set though. NIB retail they are too expensive for what you get.

BTW, an e cam is always cheap, so is a tfs stage 1. So don't let "cheap" be the determining factor in anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok I've got a pro m cold air intake, catback and 3.55's I was mainly wondering if I colud run the stock heads with the e303 because I'm picking up the cam for cheap
My car once made 205 rear horses. With stock heads w comp "beehive" springs and a comp .512 lift cam which is similar to the e303 I believe. How cheap is cheap? You may pick up 10 rear horse w a cam but its kinda a lot of work for 10 horsepower. It'll sound fast though.

Ok here is my 2 cents

• Don't do anything until you swap heads
  • Save up and get the best heads you can afford- do it once and right the first time
  • My choice for heads would be TFS or AFR
  • Ford alphabet cams are not my first second or third choice- first is custom, second is TFS, comp cam or anderson
  • Make a plan on what you want the car to be and then build it around that
  • The TFS top end kit is hard to beat for performance and completeness
  • I would upgrade the MAF and injectors
Once you start swapping out parts, be prepared to address items like drive abilitity, surging idles, additional cooling.

I'd keep the stocker with basic heads and an explorer intake upgrade. Get an adjustable timing set, and retard the cam a few degrees. Moves the power band up. That's how mine is set up and I prefer it. Once your into a good set of heads, intake and supporting mods, I'd look into a custom cam.