Camshaft and lifter replacement??

leos67

Nov 13, 2003
hey guys i was wondering where i could buy i new camshaft and lifters for my mustang?? i dont want a perfomance upgrade i just want to replace it with a stock one! It is a 1983 5.0 302 H.O 4V. hope you guys can help?

• Sponsors (?)

leos67 said:
hey guys i was wondering where i could buy i new camshaft and lifters for my mustang?? i dont want a perfomance upgrade i just want to replace it with a stock one! It is a 1983 5.0 302 H.O 4V. hope you guys can help?

try ebay alot of people sell there old ones when they upgrade, probably get one for like 20 bucks

leos67 said:
OMG!!!!!!!!!! you are prob the first guy in the history of this site that i have heard say the want to put a stock cam back in and dont want a performance cam :jaw: check the classifieds here or check e-bay i have a 88 302 H.O cam and lifters (might not work with a 83?????)with only 69k on it but you prob wouldnt be interestedsince you want new.

i want a new one!

i wanted to know where i cam buy a new one from a parts store like motorcraft or some other ford parts dealer??? its going to be a daily driver for now anybody else want to lend a hand thanks

83 is not a roller cam, the roller cams started in 1985.

Why dont you call Summit Racing [or equiv] and order a camshaft that is around .450" or so in lift.. It would give you a couple extra HP, still a nice idle, and not hurt any driveability.

According to a book I have here, from 1982 to 1984 the H.O 302s, used a .416 in. / .444 ex. lift, 260 in / 278 ex duration cam. Actually you are in luck, look at that, it has the part number. D3OE-AA Wether its still available or not I have no clue.

HTHs

Yeah - I was pretty sure it was 85. Every now and then I guess right. So the 83 is a flat tappet cam? If so, the characteristics/specs (duration/lift/etc.) can't be directly compared to the roller stuff because the lobe profiles are different.

Leo - you're best bet would be to take Schlodes cam data, and get something aftermarket that is close. You can't swap used flat tappet cams the way you can with rollers - your cam and lifters will have to be new. And, you've got the 20-minute 2000-2500 rpm break-in to deal with --- so heavy on the high quality cam-break in lube.

Forget the stock cam crap. You'll never find one and nor do you need one. Not only that but if you can find a factory piece from a dealer it would cost you an arm and a leg. You can get an aftermarket comp cam with lifters for under $100. And trust, it takes a lot of cam to make it unstreetable. As long as you keep the duration under 224 and the lift under .460 to save the stock valve springs then you'll be fine. Just because you'd be getting some more passing power, doesnt mean its going to idle all to hell. Crane has a cam thats 260/272 dur and 456/484 lift. Thats going to have a great idle and some more pop than your current cam. Its $158 with lifters, and you need new lifters.

On the contrary - I think he got a very straight answer - the stocker's gonna be hard to find, and expensive too. Don't go there. Put a similar or slightly upgraded aftermarket in. And a little more duration/lift doesn't behave the same way for flat tappet that it does for a roller. No mystery in the responses.

Ok so which one do you recommend?

so what would you guys recommend to get i am looking at spending around $100 to maybe $150 total now thats cam and lifters included. should i go with the comp cams then?? keep in mind that i am in california and this stang still has to pass smog

leos67 said:
so what would you guys recommend to get i am looking at spending around $100 to maybe $150 total now thats cam and lifters included. should i go with the comp cams then?? keep in mind that i am in california and this stang still has to pass smog
150 for lifter's and a cam??? thats is gona be hard to find new maybe used........................

leos67 said:

Maybe Napa or something like that for the price you are talking but you would probably end up with rebuilt lifters and a reground cam. There is probably not a sole on this site that would recomend doing it though...
$150 is not going to get you what you are looking for.

Are you insane!!! This isnt a roller cam. Have you ever purchased a flat tappet. They are never over 200 with lifters. Check out SummitRacing.com. I think I saw maybe 30 cams for non-roller 302s and they were all under 200. God, where do you people buy your speed parts-Rodeo Drive??? I'm telling you if you want a stock like cam then just buy the most base model cam either Comp or Crane offers. Its going to be cheap and run just the same if not better. And your emissions will be just fine. It wont even sound like you have a cam because it will idle so smoothly. I just dont see why you dont add a dash or duration and lift to make it run better because itll actually be more efficient. Please dont assume that just because its an aftermarket cam its going to turn your car into a race car. And for the rest of you,please check your prices before you give him bad advice. If I say it can be done for $150 then it can so dont doubt me. Unlike some people around here I dont give bum advice.

This is a direct paste from Summit Racing. This is one of Summit's own camshafts, just as good as Comp or Crane and its all brand new. Notice the duration is almost exact to the factory specs previously posted.
Ford: 221-302, 262 intake/272 exhaust duration, hydraulic, cam and lifter kit Monday $82.95
Thats the base one and they get stouter as you go up but all the same price. WOW, look at that $83 for a cam and lifters!! But I thought you all said it couldn't be done for under $150. Oh I'm sorry actually $92 with shipping and handling. Good night. God I'm awesome. Thank you Thank you, money not applause. I have exorcised the demons. This house is clear.