Fox Camshafts

Mowfast64

Mar 14, 2018
I have a stock new build 1986 302 HO with flat top pistons and stock heads. I'm trying to find a cam for it. Can someone help me without changing heads or pistons, etc. parts ?

• Sponsors (?)

What's you're goal here with the camshaft change? Idle sound, power? You're not going to be able to gain much with those stock E6 heads, and your flat top pistons are going to limit you on lift/cam selection.

Are you still speed density also?

Stock heads, stock cam on that car. You are going to piss away 2 days of your time, a ton of money, and end up with a lot of frustration to gain absolutely nothing changing the cam on that car.

Kurt

I have a stock new build 1986 302 HO with flat top pistons and stock heads. I'm trying to find a cam for it. Can someone help me without changing heads or pistons, etc. parts ?

I swapped my cam in an all-stock 302 motor used fords e303 cam there are other options but I knew for a fact that one would. most cams work in a stock motor as long as the lift is under .500" if you use the e303 cam the firing order changes to high-output but it definitely made it sound meaner. I would recommend swapping it as long as your not going too daily drive it.

I think a E cam in a speed density car will have problems.
A stock cam will be good but it's just a stock cam, what fun is that.
My thoughts would be to look into a custom grind if you are set on using the stock heads/intake.
The speed density setup will be your limiting factor, jmo.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the others. Totally not worth it. Serves no purpose but to waste money and a camshaft....especially on an 86 factory engine. If you are hoping for increased power then I hope you are ok going from a whopping 200HP to an equally whopping 210HP. You now have ALMOST as much power as a new Nissan Sentra 4cyl econo. And that goes for any stock Fox including mine!

E6 heads I assume? Totally flat top pistons (no valve reliefs) I assume?

You're better off getting a custom cam. Most of the aftermarket stuff is going to need valve reliefs in the pistons.

Check with ed curtis

I ran a comp xe264 -hr14 (.512 lift) with gt40 heads (1.94 /1.54 valves) on a stock bottom end 86 and fel pro 1011-2 head gaskets (.038 compressed thickness), just make sure you check piston to valve clearance

also ran it for a while with 1.7 roller rockers on stock HO cam and the comp cam, both cleared ok

whether you will gain any performance switching cams with the E6 heads is doubtful

, there is a list of speed density compatible cams available if you google

Custom cam would be best option as the grinder can tailor the timing events to clear the pistons.

Custom cam would be the way to go but not cost effective if you think about it. $325ish for the cam, plus $300 or so for matched springs (possibly cheaper if the cam lift isn’t aggressive) plus all your gaskets and fluids and you have $700 into this job only to stick E6 heads back on.

Your money your decision, but I’d at least pick up some gt40 heads and explorer intake and other supporting mods.

The flat top pistons will still limit your cam profile though. Better idea is to grab an explorer long block and intake and go through it and swap it in.

Of course, like any project the costs and complexity always snowball