Fox Can convertible top be lowered and raised manually

MrPerfect2

Jul 23, 2019
Washington DC
I need a new motor - my top motor engages only half the time - other times I need to bang on it with a wrench to get it to engage . Until I get a new motor - can top be lowered and raised by 2 people - I imagine I have to undo hydro lines to release pressure

• Sponsors (?)

The short answer is yes. In the 84 in my sig the top motor never worked so it was always operated manually. Luckily the 87 does work and I have 2 of all of the mechanicals just in case something goes wrong at some point, although I don't foresee it happening any time in the near future....

Yes - the button on dash activated the relay switches ( I can hear them click on ) but motor does not work unless it’s banged on - I have read the brushes get stuck in motor and need a jarring to free them up - btw anyone opened these motors and tried some contact cleaner on the brushes?

Easy to manually raise and lower top with two people. No need to undo any lines. Just raise and lower with one person on each side pushing evenly. It may take a little time so dont force it too fast, but the fluid will transfer back and forth just fine.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Yes - the button on dash activated the relay switches ( I can hear them click on ) but motor does not work unless it’s banged on - I have read the brushes get stuck in motor and need a jarring to free them up - btw anyone opened these motors and tried some contact cleaner on the brushes?
You may have a voltage drop problem across a relay or connection. Use the test path below to find problematic connections and components.

Voltage drop testing of connections and grounds.

Use a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) to measure the voltage drop across a connection or wire. Adding length to the test leads may be required, and does not affect the accuracy of the test. Use 16-18 gauge wire for the test leads if you have to lengthen them.

Voltage drop increases with the increase of current in a circuit and it also increases with heat. Put a maximum current load on a bad wire or connection and it gets hot and drops more voltage across the wire or connection. As it heats up, resistance increases which makes more heat. Round and round you go in a vicious circle until something catches fire or fails.

Voltage drop testing must be done while the usual load is on the circuit. If it is a starter, it has to be tested while cranking the starter. If it is lights, A/C or fan, they must be turned on high while testing. Fail to do this and you will not get accurate results

1.) Most grounds use the negative battery post as their starting point. Keep this in mind when checking grounds.
2.) The voltage will be small if the ground is good: less voltage drop = better connection.
3.) Be sure that the power to the circuit is on, and the circuit is being used in its normal manner. For instance, if it is a light circuit, the lights on that circuit should be powered on.
4.) To measure grounds, place one DVM lead on the battery negative post and the other on the wire or connector that goes to ground.
5.) 5.) Voltage drops should not exceed the following:
200 mV Wire or cable
300 mV Switch
100 mV Ground
0 mV to <50 mV Sensor Connections (sensors are low voltage devices and small drops can have a large effect on the devices dependent on sensor accuracy)
0.0V Connections
A voltage drop lower that spec is always acceptable.
6.)
See http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/automotive/beatbook.pdf for help for help troubleshooting voltage drops across connections and components. .

attachments\64167

The following are diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Convertible top motor wiring
mustang88VertTopMotorCkt.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring; http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ Everyone should bookmark this site.

TFI module wiring for 94-95 Mustang GT
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/Mustang-94-95-IgnitionControlModule.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 94-95 Mustangs

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 91-93 Mass Air Mustangs

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-90 Mass Air Mustangs

5.0 wiring diagram for Fuel Injectors, Sensors, and Actuators

Main body EFI wiring harness

Ignition switch wiring

O2 sensor wiring harness

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs

HVAC vacuum diagram

TFI module differences & pin out

Fuse box layout

Mustang 5.0 Lights and Radio schematic, by TMoss:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxLights-Radio_diag.gif

87-92 power window wiring

93 power window wiring

T5 Cutaway showing T5 internal parts

Visual comparison of the Ford Fuel Injectors, picture by TMoss:

Convertible top motor wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustang88VertTopMotorCkt.gif

Engine mounted fuel injector harness

Location of the TPS, IAB, and the 10-pin connectors on a 5.0, picture by TMoss:

Starter circuit

Alternator diagram for 94-95 Mustangs.

Be careful raising and lowering the top by hand. I used to do it by myself on my 89. I've also dealt witb several customers cars that had cracked frames above the front windows from forcing the top too fast or unevenly. No need to disconnect everything. Slowly raise the top from the front with one hand...and supporting the hinge point on whatever side you are on with the other. Once it gets past the halfway point the top will lay back on its own.

When raising go from side to side carefully lifting the top at the hinge point. You just need to kinda assist the front part of the frame going up and down. Theres a metal plate riveted to the front part of the frame above the windows....this is the weak point.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users