can ford flash the computer in a 2003 to fix speedo?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2000 GT and my friend works for Ford as a mechanic and he took my car up on the lift and tried to re-flash the computer to recalibrate for my 3.73's and it was not possible. I don't know if Ford has changed that since the 00 Mustang, but he said they stopped being able to do it when the 99+ (New Edge) Stangs were built. I know he wouldn't lie to me his brother is one of my best friends. I think you'll have to get a speedcal or a chip or something. I had to get a calibrater from B&B electrics to get mine recalibrated. Like I said this was back in 2000, maybe it's different with Ford now.

My firend also works at a ford dealer and he tried to reflash my computer when they did the gears in my 03, and they could not. I was right ther with him and we tried it several times. Your going to have to get either the speedcall or a chip or tuner. Good luck man :nice:

jrc_03_gt said:
Man that sucks ! I thought ford would have been able to fx it.

I'm surprised as well. One would figure that since Ford orginally did the programming, they'd make it so one could alter it if necessary (maybe making it something only a dealer could do). If anything, that would be a way for their dealers to make some extra money... :shrug:

I seem to recall someone saying that Ford can do it, but you have to work around the tool a little bit. The story that I remember was that the Ford reflash only lets gears sizes go up to 3.55 (maybe because this is as large a gear as they have in a stock Mustang/Mach1/Cobra?) and to do higher sizes you have to adjust the tire size. So if you just tried to set the gear to 3.73 it won't work, but if you set the gear to 3.55 and adjust the tire size appropriately, it'll get you there.

I wish I could remember where I read this - until someone else can verify this, I'm calling :bs: on my own post. :D

I am having my 3.73's installed this week by the dealer and he said all they have to do is to install a new speedo gear. Should I be asking another question?

2001 GT 5 Speed

dhood said:
I am having my 3.73's installed this week by the dealer and he said all they have to do is to install a new speedo gear. Should I be asking another question?

2001 GT 5 Speed
ummmm i dont think there is a speedo gear for your car...i think they changed it in the 90's to computer control instead of gearing.