Can I get more head room?

• Sponsors (?)

No power seats? Mine go low enough to where it looks like I'm a little kid stitting in daddy's car. I know there is a way to extend the seat rail to allow for taller drivers. Might check to see if there is one to lower the seat too.

I have the factory leather seats & yes they are power. I have also noticed that the factory cloth seats that are manual feel as if they sit lower than the leather ones. I don't know if it is because the cushion inside of the two seats are different or if it is from all the power controls under the seat. My seats do feel as if they are alot firmer than the cloth seats. Can I put manual controls on my seats & do away with they power controls??? :shrug:

Thanks for the two links but I have enough leg room, I just hate my head being so close to the roof. That is the only positive thing I can say about a Camaro is that they do have plenty of head room!

DC02'GT said:
I have the factory leather seats & yes they are power. I have also noticed that the factory cloth seats that are manual feel as if they sit lower than the leather ones. I don't know if it is because the cushion inside of the two seats are different or if it is from all the power controls under the seat. My seats do feel as if they are alot firmer than the cloth seats. Can I put manual controls on my seats & do away with they power controls??? :shrug:

Thanks for the two links but I have enough leg room, I just hate my head being so close to the roof. That is the only positive thing I can say about a Camaro is that they do have plenty of head room!

Go to the junkyard and find some manual seat tracks from a V-6. It takes like 8 bolts if I'm not mistaken. You will lose the power feature but you will gain alot of headroom. I'm 6'3" but my dad is 6'6" and he sits with the seat totally upright and still has room. So unless you are taller than that, you should be just fine. :nice:

Thanks for the help. I guess it is time to ditch the power controls & get some manual tracks.
JCKnife- That would be too easy, & besides I do not want to add a roll cage in order to keep a vert from twisting. I'll stay with the manual seat tracks & my hard top. :nice: I'm not bashing, verts look sweet, they're just not for me. On the other hand, you are up north, a vert in Texas & you can feel as if you are being cooked alive!!!

DC02'GT said:
Thanks for the help. I guess it is time to ditch the power controls & get some manual tracks.
JCKnife- That would be too easy, & besides I do not want to add a roll cage in order to keep a vert from twisting. I'll stay with the manual seat tracks & my hard top. :nice: I'm not bashing, verts look sweet, they're just not for me. On the other hand, you are up north, a vert in Texas & you can feel as if you are being cooked alive!!!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know how this turns out.
Email me, call me, throw a brick at me w/ a note attached. I don't care!
I have been wanting to get more head room since the day I bought the car!
I really think there's a particular height that just doesn't fit well in the 99+ cars. If I were taller (I'm 5' 10") I could slide the seat back and take advantage of the higher roof line a little farther back. Or just recline the seat more, but then I couldn't reach the wheel or shifter.

BTW, how in the world do you tall guys put up with the rear view mirror? Mine's AT eye level, which SUX! Isn't it BELOW your eye level?

Jason

I had the same headroom issue in my 2003, and it did place the rear view mirror right in my line of sight. I had to scrunch down to see stoplights unless I stopped a fair distance from them. I'm only 6'2" but overall height isn't the problem, it's how much of your height is in your legs and how much is in your torso.

I ordered a set of manual tracks from www.stangparts.com, and when I went to install them a month later I found that the seat belt receiver had been hacked off. I didn't know that 1999 and newer have the seatbelt receiver mounted to the seat track, not the transmission tunnel. I do beleive that the manual track would have done the trick if I was sent one that hadn't been cut up.

My final solution was to get a set of Recaro LXF's with custom seat brackets from www.speedwaremotorsports.com - I am now almost too low in the car! The passenger side did not lower as much as the driver side for some reason. I now actually feel comfortable in the car - it is a huge difference!

I chose the LXF model because it does not have the holes in the top for a shoulder harness, as I don't plan on getting a harness. The LXF has a headrest that is adjustable in height and position. This was another problem I had with my stock seats - the headrest all the way up was still only high enough to snap my neck in case of an accident.

I have had a 1991, a 1998 and now a 2003 - it seems like each year the headroom gets less and less. Funny, I thought the average height of the population was slowly increasing...

Toms302 said:
I had the same headroom issue in my 2003, and it did place the rear view mirror right in my line of sight. I had to scrunch down to see stoplights unless I stopped a fair distance from them. I'm only 6'2" but overall height isn't the problem, it's how much of your height is in your legs and how much is in your torso.

I ordered a set of manual tracks from www.stangparts.com, and when I went to install them a month later I found that the seat belt receiver had been hacked off. I didn't know that 1999 and newer have the seatbelt receiver mounted to the seat track, not the transmission tunnel. I do beleive that the manual track would have done the trick if I was sent one that hadn't been cut up.

My final solution was to get a set of Recaro LXF's with custom seat brackets from www.speedwaremotorsports.com - I am now almost too low in the car! The passenger side did not lower as much as the driver side for some reason. I now actually feel comfortable in the car - it is a huge difference!

I chose the LXF model because it does not have the holes in the top for a shoulder harness, as I don't plan on getting a harness. The LXF has a headrest that is adjustable in height and position. This was another problem I had with my stock seats - the headrest all the way up was still only high enough to snap my neck in case of an accident.

I have had a 1991, a 1998 and now a 2003 - it seems like each year the headroom gets less and less. Funny, I thought the average height of the population was slowly increasing...
Thanks for the help, but, WOW... $700 per seat is a little steap for me!
That really sux too because they actually offer beige fabric.
Looks like I'll be trying the manual seat track option. Problem is, some say it lowers the seat and others say it doesn't.
How much did you pay for your hacked-up ones?

Jason

Toms302 said:
I think the used rails are only about $35. Not too bad a loss if they don't work out.
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. What the hell. Hey it's $35 compared to $800-$1000 for aftermarket seats.

In fact, today, I was just about to call some local salvage yards when a friend of mine brought up a good point. The manual passenger seat doesn't sit any lower. That would look wierd if it did. Ford isn't going to have have two different passenger tracks. One to match the height of the power driver's seat and one to match the manual driver's seat. So it would stand to reason the manual driver's track is the same height as the power and therefore the manual passenger track.

Make sense? Well it did to me at the time, but it's getting late now. I'll go measure the height of the passsenger seat from the floorboard tomorrow and see if it's close to the 4" under the driver's seat.

Jason