CAN I RUN A CARB FILTER ON TOP OF MY ENGINE AND STILL USE FUEL INJECTION!

rei-04

Sep 20, 2004
TX
I've heard you can still run fuel injection and pull the upper manifold off and just have a fuel injected carb setup. Is this true? If so, what do I need to do? Is there any benefit to this, besides a cleaner engine bay? Would I lose horsepower?

• Sponsors (?)

There are several types of fuel injection. You can put a TBI from holley on your car. This is done by using a carbed manifold.

There is also the spyder EFI intake. Instead of using the elbow, you could just put the TB on top and run a filter on top of that.

HP possibly some gain with a loss of torque as a trade off.

hi,
thanks for the quick reply. I just think that will look really good in the engine bay, but wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose to much power. I have an upper n lower cobra manifold on now. I have to take the upper manifold off and was thinking since I had it off, maybe I could try this out.

hllon4whls,
I like the vid, impressive launch. I just bought my stang and I was thinking about going the 351 route. I told this engine builder, I want a street reliable, simple engine setup for 11's. He told me either to go boosted 331 or swap in a na 351. I asked him if I could hit 11's with a 302 na, he said yes, but it would be difficult and be much easier and a little bit cheaper with a 351, especially if I stroke it. I want a simple motor. Even though I know 11's probably won't be to simple of a set up ;)

What you're gonna lose if you get rid of the long runner intake is bottom end torque. You might pick up a bit of top end power - but for a street car, bottom end torque is what makes one fun to drive. Also, an air cleaner mounted on top a la carb style picks up the warmest air possible - from the underside of the hood. For every 10F increase in intake air temp, you lose 1% HP. So even if you went to a tbi set up, you'd want to 'snorkle' cold air to the intake.