• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Can interior map lamps be disabled at unlock and shutdown?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scstanger
  • Start date Start date Sep 7, 2008
S

scstanger

New Member
Dec 3, 2003
56
0
0
Sep 7, 2008
#1
  • Sep 7, 2008
  • #1
Hi,
Sorry of this is a basic question. I just upgraded from an 01 GT to an 09 GT Friday (I'm totally psyched). Is there a way to disable the map lights from coming on when unlocking the car, or shutting the car off, or when opening the doors, w/o disabling the use of the map lights all together? On my 01 GT, I just pulled out the dome light bulb and used the map lights any time I needed light. On the 09's (and I'd assume 05-08 as well), there's no dome light, just the two map lights. I looked in the owners manual but didn't see this referenced. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I feel uncomfortable when shutting off my car in the dark and my entire interior being lit up.
Thanks in advance
 

Art161

Member
Sep 26, 2006
130
0
16
San Francisco
Sep 8, 2008
#2
  • Sep 8, 2008
  • #2
I don't know how you would do this physically, but I have a theory as to how it could be done. Cut the wires that go to the lamps and insert a double pole, single throw switch. Leave the switch "off" unless you want to use the lamps. Turn it "on" and the lamps should operate normally.
 
F

fullboogie

New Member
Jun 10, 2008
6
0
0
Houston
Sep 8, 2008
#3
  • Sep 8, 2008
  • #3
Those delayed lights are also playing havoc with my newly installed alarm. When I exit the car and hit the "arm" button, the alarm senses the lights still on and sees it as an "open" zone. It then bypasses that "zone" leaving the doors unprotected. The dealer/installer is trying to find a way to fix it.
 
S

scstanger

New Member
Dec 3, 2003
56
0
0
Sep 8, 2008
#4
  • Sep 8, 2008
  • #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll research further and let you all know if I find anything as well.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
233
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Saturday at 5:19 PM
manicmechanic007
W
Headlights dimmer and gauges arent playing nice
  • wmfmike3
  • Aug 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
222
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2025
wmfmike3
W
S
01 GT DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK CYLINDER LINKAGE
  • Scwhitten
  • May 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
250
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 19, 2026
melo.timo
M
P
Electrical 1988 GT Wrong Cluster- causing electrical issues?
  • pindude80
  • May 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
367
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 6, 2025
pindude80
P
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
339
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?