Can interior map lamps be disabled at unlock and shutdown?

scstanger

Dec 3, 2003
Hi,
Sorry of this is a basic question. I just upgraded from an 01 GT to an 09 GT Friday (I'm totally psyched). Is there a way to disable the map lights from coming on when unlocking the car, or shutting the car off, or when opening the doors, w/o disabling the use of the map lights all together? On my 01 GT, I just pulled out the dome light bulb and used the map lights any time I needed light. On the 09's (and I'd assume 05-08 as well), there's no dome light, just the two map lights. I looked in the owners manual but didn't see this referenced. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I feel uncomfortable when shutting off my car in the dark and my entire interior being lit up.
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know how you would do this physically, but I have a theory as to how it could be done. Cut the wires that go to the lamps and insert a double pole, single throw switch. Leave the switch "off" unless you want to use the lamps. Turn it "on" and the lamps should operate normally.

Those delayed lights are also playing havoc with my newly installed alarm. When I exit the car and hit the "arm" button, the alarm senses the lights still on and sees it as an "open" zone. It then bypasses that "zone" leaving the doors unprotected. The dealer/installer is trying to find a way to fix it.