Can One Guy and 4 Jackstands Replace a Transmission and Clutch?

bretamo

May 13, 2005
Like the title asks . . . can one dude jack up a 92GT on standard jack stands and replace the transmission and clutch?

I'm looking at the idea of purchasing a rebuilt tranny and getting a clutch kit built for a 400HP set up. Can I do this alone, or do I have to have a lift and a buddy?

Any words of wisdom, horror stories, or stories of installs-like-a-breeze are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, you can do it:nice: It will take a little longer of course by yourself...

If you cannot manage to get the transmission up and aligned by yourself, you can set it up on a jack and jack it up into position and hopefully "throw" it in yourself.

Good Luck!

If you need some procedural help, you can click on the link in my signature. It may help you...

The trick is to put everything in piece by piece, not the trany/clutch/bell housing all at one time. Get the clutch on and the bell housing and then slide the trany in (that may seem like common sense to a lot of you but you'd be surprised how many people try it the hard way).

Then i think the easiest way to do it by yourself is to lay on your side under the car with the trany up against your chest, hug the trany and roll onto your back (this is assuming of course that you're not a girly man and won't get crushed by a trany lol). From there it should be almost lifted up to where it needs to be so you don't need much lift to get it in. Make sure your bolts are within reach so you can get a few of them started and then you're all set.

What if you are a manly girl? Not that I am either one; I'm just sayin.

(BTW - Thanks for the good info/advice!)

I've only done it once....since i've only swapped my trany once :rlaugh:

One of my buddys though is a BA at swapping tranys. Once i timed him and he did a T5 swap from jacking up to jacking down in 31 minutes....that's pretty damn good!

we last weekend i helped a freind replace the clutch in his 95 that were putting the sc motor into.....(heads are being ported right now so thats the hold up) and we had already put the engine in...its ALOT easier with 2 people.

I have done it before. Infact take both the motor and trans out that way, and back in again. I used 4 ramps instead of jackstands. And use a floor jack to help you get the trans up to bolt it to the bellhousing. Then the rest is cake.

Good luck with the job.. Be patient!!!

Make sure that you use the "TALL" jackstands. The higher the car, the easier it is to get the tranny up and into the hole. Last month, I did mine and rested it on my stomach (while holding it) and then slid under the car on my creeper. It went right in.

I agree that you should do it in steps like mounting the flywheel and then the clutch. Then you could put the clutch fork and throwout bearing onto the bellhousing before bolting that on. Finally, empty the fluid from the tranny or put a yoke on the end of it to prevent the fluid from coming out, then it's "up and in".

Good luck!

I have done mine once. It was nice to have someone there to depress the clutch a little. By myself I kept knocking the TB off the forks. took a few times but using a jack and getting it positioned correctly really helped out.

ive done it with 2 jackstands and im only 120lbs. doing it the way 85_ss_302_coupe said is the best way IMO if your doing it alone.

i had to use my legs to push the front end up and forward and my back hurt like hell for a few days, but it can be done!! lol :nice: