Can *rear* seats from newer Mustangs swap in as well?

lparsons

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 24, 2004
Upstate New York
We've talked about front seats before, but I'm curious to know if anyone has put *rear* seats from newer model Mustangs into SN95s. I have found a full set of seats from a 2018 Mustang on my local craigslist for a reasonable price and was considering them for my 98GT convertible. However as they are a different color (black cloth vs tan leather in my current car) I'd like to try to swap the full set if possible.
Does anyone know if this is reasonably doable? As much as a fair bit of attention is paid to changing front seats, almost none goes to rear seats. I just know that the mismatched front/rear will drive my wife crazy.

• Sponsors (?)

I picked up a set of back seats from a 2018 (not sure if they came from a convertible or not, or if it matters in that model year). I can say that the 2018 rears are definitely *wider* than what is in a 98GT convertible. The 2018 rear seat is also a split-back (two piece) rear seat, which would require some creative modification to fit them in.
I'm thinking this probably won't be a viable path for me. The person who gave me these backs said they could cover the fronts from the same (for $$$ of course) which might be the best way to go, I could potentially get modern seats in a color that matches my existing interior. Being as the best price I've seen for new front seats (that look like normal seats, I don't want crazy fancy racer seats - and I want them in a color as close to stock as possible) is about $800 + shipping, I think this might work out better. I'll still have to figure out how to mount them of course, and the company that used to make adapter brackets doesn't make them anymore and from communication with them doesn't seem to have any real interest in doing it again.