Can someone PLEASE explain....

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
Can someone explain to me Ford's repair parts pricing structure? I called three local dealers parts counters to get pricing on a valve cover for my '93 4.0L Ranger. Prices I got were $109, $69, and $61. I can understand a little price difference based on dealer volume, but come on, is the first dealer trying to screw people or what? The other screwy thing is that all three places gave me slightly different variations on the same part number.

If anyone wants to play the game and see what their dealers price is, it's the left hand valve cover (don't know if there is a cost difference, but two of the three dealers asked)

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I worked for franchise dealers for 11 years, basically they have the price they quote the public, which usually is full retail. They usually will offer a used car dealer like me a 15% discount when I buy parts over the counter. If the item is a C or D rated item, meaning a slow seller, then they might give even more discount to get rid of the item. Hope this helps some.

I've never worked for a dealership, but I drive a lot of old cars that need parts. :(

Some dealerships near me just charge more than others. Some places the guys immediately know what you want and can find it fast. Some places they say, "oh you have to buy the whole assembly for $1,000,000".

I think you did the right thing. Do the same thing every time you buy a part from Ford until you know what the pattern is at your local dealers.

Find the good one. Reward them. :D

It's not just the dealers that play that game. Advance Auto charges different prices depending on where you are. I found out pricing parts on the internet. The part was 24.99 in SC, and 44.99 in CA, though that price wasn't even constant for all of CA.

KillerKittyCat said:
Just to stir up some stuff. Call your local Mercury/Lincoln dealer. I will wager that the price will be even cheaper!!!! I know from experience!!! Good Luck!
Yea, I've heard of guys getting a transfer case shift motor for a navajo at a mazda dealer for like $100 cheaper than the explorer equivalent at ford. I guess everybody is just trying to earn a living, some a little better than others.

As far as the C or D rated item, the part that I am getting had to be ordered from the distribution center (probably the same distribution center) by all three dealers, so it's not like something that one of the dealers was trying to get rid of.

Having worked in a Ford parts department many years ago, I can tell you that they can charge whatever they want. There is no requirement from Ford to sell for any particular price. There is a list price for every part, but the dealer can do whatever they want. I would first concern myself with getting a different part number for each quote. Something is wrong there. If you are calling on the phone for a quote, it's entirely possible that they looked it up too quickly so they could get back to the customers who actually came to the dealership with cash and credit cards in hand.

PraireBronze said:
I would first concern myself with getting a different part number for each quote. Something is wrong there. If you are calling on the phone for a quote, it's entirely possible that they looked it up too quickly so they could get back to the customers who actually came to the dealership with cash and credit cards in hand.

I was concerned about the part number variation too. After calling I went to the low guys counter to order and he had the gasket, just not the valve cover, so I got that and ordered the valve cover through them. I compared the gasket to the old valve cover and it looks to be the right one, so if he got that number right I'm pretty sure that he got the valve cover right, although the only way to know for sure is to look myself and they won't let you behind the counter. The strange thing is that all the numbers were basically the same, with a four digit numerical portion common, and just variations in the alpha prefix and suffix.

For the record, I'm pretty sure the high guy is just out to screw people over. He failed me on a state inspection for bad serpentine belt (I had about 20K on a replacement belt, and trust me, it was fine, plus belt condition is not even part of Virginia's state inspection checklist) and for worn brake pads :bs: (about 7K on a set of lifetime pads. They were like new). I told the service department to take a good look at my a$$, it's the last time they would see it. Unfortunately they had already raped me on head replacement on the truck. Another sore spot with Ford, but that's another story. :(

In my experience there are dealers who perform as parts depots for other dealers in the vicinity. If you go to the "depot" dealer, the parts are generally cheaper than they are at outlying dealerships. This is because the parts "pass through" the depot. There is markup whenever another set of hands handle the item. There are other things as well. Although I bought parts at discount many times at the local depot dealership, SWMBO was able to get a better price than I was. Partly because she claimed they were for a birthday present and partly because she drives a hard bargain and they knew she wouldn't buy unless the price was right. They knew she would walk away on a large sale and I wouldn't. Go figure!