Can you install an 03 Cobra motor in a 93 LX?

andermat

Aug 2, 2011
Hi, my 93 LX has 120,000 miles on it so I'm searching for a new motor. Looking over the past production and what's available I came across a 03 Cobra motor for a decent price. Haven't done to much research but wanted to get opinion on if this would be possible before I move forward.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time!

• Sponsors (?)

Bear in mind, it is not a direct swap. It will require either an adapter to get your current transmission to bolt up or a T45 or later transmission. You will also need a different engine management system to control everything, either the complete harness/ECU out of the donor car or an aftermarket system.

That's just for starters.

Haven't done to much research

... And it's painfully obvious that you haven't, because if you would have even glanced through this forum before you posted, you would have seen this:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/842747-4-6l-v8-88-foxbody.html

Yes, it can be done, yes it has been done, yes we even have a member here who has done it, I'm sure he'll chime in.

I suggest you google it, you will find all sorts of information on how to make it happen.

Just curious, what is the asking price for the motor you found?

Bear in mind, it is not a direct swap. It will require either an adapter to get your current transmission to bolt up or a T45 or later transmission. You will also need a different engine management system to control everything, either the complete harness/ECU out of the donor car or an aftermarket system.

That's just for starters.

You can make the factory 5.0 ECU run the engine...
Here is how...
Products » Modular Engine Components » MMR » Modular Distributor Drive System

Then it would be a matter of a T45 swap, 96+ crossmember, Hydroboost brakes (or manual) and some other minor fab work.

make all the factory guages work and then get it a tune, and your golden!

You can make the factory 5.0 ECU run the engine...
Here is how...
Products » Modular Engine Components » MMR » Modular Distributor Drive System

Then it would be a matter of a T45 swap, 96+ crossmember, Hydroboost brakes (or manual) and some other minor fab work.

make all the factory guages work and then get it a tune, and your golden!

I priced it out both ways, Dis in the valve cover and cobra ecu.
In the end, i decided the cobra ecu was the cheaper and safer method.
That distributor is $900, but the one for a fox is more (i spoke with the head mmr guy) because it needs to have a tfi on it, next is it can only be done with billet distributors which means you are limited to the completely unreliable msd. Then you still need a boost retard, more money in the gutter. Financially it's way cheaper to just use the cobra computer.

I did more wiring, but that's kinda free, yea soaks up some time, but it's a hobby that's what extra time is for.

And mike, an 03 cobra is 10 more grand and hundreds of pounds heavier.
So, might as well have bought a cobra doesn't really fly as an answer.