Resolved Can you vacuum bleed M/C instead of bench bleeding?

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
So all my brake components are new, SS, lines, wheel cyc, calibers etc... Can I bolt the New M/C on, and just vacuum bleed the system? I didn't want to bench bleed it, since the chance of getting brake fluid spilled in the engine bay will surely happen when I plug the plugs hoses and try to hook up the lines etc..

So, I was just hoping I can just hook everything up and vacuum bled the system. To me it would seem that it should work but wanted to check with everyone first.

• Sponsors (?)

MC installs at an angle so it makes getting the air out a pain when installed. If you can jack the rear of the car up so that the MC is level then that may work. Once you have the MC bled then you can let the back of the car down and continue bleeding the brakes.

I bench bleed the MC and use absorbent pads in the engine bay to keep the fluid from getting on the car. Typically not much comes out as the lid on the reservoir keeps it from free flowing. Think of filling a straw with water and then putting your thumb over the end and no liquid comes out. Has to do with the liquid specific gravity, atmospheric pressure, and liquid column height. Anyhow, this method works good for me.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Dislike
Regardless of what type of brake fluid you use just make sure it fits the application. I stay away from DOT 5 in my Coupe due to the ABS system as it is not recommended. You can use it in an ABS system but it can aerate due to the action of the piston in the ABS pump which is no bueno. DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are recommended for ABS vehicles due to the lower viscosity than DOT 3.

DOT 3 is what our cars came with but I would say that DOT 4 is becoming if not is the most commonly used brake fluid in cars on the road today due to ABS systems. DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3 but I would highly recommend flushing the system completely with DOT 4 and not just topping off if you are going to make that move. You should not top off a brake system with a lower DOT fluid that what is already in there. This is due to the system is engineered based on the properties of the fluid and by introducing a fluid that has a lower boiling point and higher viscosity it will alter the braking performance.

Here are a couple really good writeup on the differences and uses of the DOT brake fluids:

Just to clarify, I know ABS did not come factory in any Fox Body Mustang. The one in my Coupe is out of a 95 GT car and I was the one who installed it based on a writeup that an engineer from Ford did when he installed it in his Fox Body.

• Informative

Attachments

• DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Agree
I’ve never tried using a vacuum bleeder without bench bleeding.

However, I’ve done master cylinders and used my pressure bleeder to bleed the system and not bench bled the master.

To answer the original question, no. There is some magic that happens when you push the MC piston all the way to the end of the bore that no other method can do. You can't get there with the MC mounted.

• Haha
You can do it if you are able to jack the rear of the car up far enough to level it. Just be warned, you need to get it pretty high and it may not be safe. But MC needs to be level and it would be beneficial if the outlet ports are tilted higher, meaning the pass side needs to be higher.

Given the extreme angles, it's going to be somewhat precarious, hence the recommendation to just remove and bench bleed.

Motive for the win. Makes bleeding ABS systems sooo much easier and like 96pushrod said no more yelling into the house for an assistant. They offer all kinds of different adapters which comes in handy if for some awful reason you don't own anything but a Ford...ha ha ha!!!