canister purge

junkyardwarrior

Jan 10, 2011
92 mustang GT, 408w swapped using A9P tuned with quarterhorse.

Getting some fuel smell in cabin. All lines, hoses hooked up, there is pressure in the tank. Vent was flattened between the tank and body at one point, I fixed that and it has been fine for a good while. Tonight I go for a drive, start smelling fuel. Back home, removed fuel cap and lots of air comes out. Got it on the lift, tank vent hose is fine. Drove around a minute, came back, pulled the hose off of the canp and air rushes out.

Does it matter which way the hoses go on the charcoal canister? Vent on one, canp solenoid on the other currently.

Code 11 KOEO, 63 in memory (I disconnected the TPS while running at one point to adjust idle stop screw). Did not do a KOER test tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

That's where it is.

On the canister there are two nipples. If I'm standing at the front bumper looking into the engine bay, there is a nipple on the left side of the canister, and one right next to it on the right.

Which one takes the vent tube from the tank, and which one takes the purge valve? Or does it matter?

I had the engine out. Replaced all vacuum hoses and lines and ain't sure I got them on the way they came off.

Sorry for the delay, I'm out in the shop now and remembered your question.
Looking down at the canister from over the radiator, the left nipple (drivers side) is where the purge valve is running up to the intake, the right nipple (passenger side) is hooked to the line from the fuel tank.