Cant Decide H/C/I Package

mustangman9812

10 Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
Mars Hill, NC
I cant decide what Head, Cam, & Intake Package to use on my Coast High Performance 306ci Forged Bottom-End to go in my 98 Mustang GT. (Yes 5.0 where a 4.6 Should Be HEHE :nice:)

What Do you guys think and what combo will give me the most HP/TQ and be not to high on the compression end??

My pistons are 4.0cc (Flat Top)
It will have a 150hp Wet Nitrous Shot On it

I was thinking Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads w/2.02" Valves / Ford X-303 Cam/ Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Intake

PLEASE HELP :SNSign: !!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Please don't put an out of date Ford alphabet cam in your car. If you wanna make a decent setup, get heads with chambers that will give you at least 10:1 compression.. AFR's, TW's, ect.. Then get a custom cam from Ed, Jay, or Buddy... Lastly.. step up to an Edel RPM intake...

Call up Ed, Jay, or buddy and tell them what you want from your car, so you don't have to guess, and maybe have a fast setup..

If you really wanna go fast.. get some GT40P's like me.. lol.. I make good power, but I did it azz backwards..

Please don't put an out of date Ford alphabet cam in your car. If you wanna make a decent setup, get heads with chambers that will give you at least 10:1 compression.. AFR's, TW's, ect.. Then get a custom cam from Ed, Jay, or Buddy... Lastly.. step up to an Edel RPM intake...

Call up Ed, Jay, or buddy and tell them what you want from your car, so you don't have to guess, and maybe have a fast setup..

If you really wanna go fast.. get some GT40P's like me.. lol.. I make good power, but I did it azz backwards..

I may have asked you before :shrug:

Do you have a dyno pull of your newest combo?

I'd love to see the curves :nice:

btw ... You are the first person I've seen use a custom cam
with OEM iron heads

Grady

I contacted Ed, he told me Performer intake (non-rpm) because it had a more useable powerband. I purchased AFR 165's, great head in my opinion. The Eddy's aren't far behind it at all.

Nothing wrong with an alphabet cam, but if you got the extra money, get a custom cam...just another 150 bucks or so. If you don't have that extra cash, it's all good...you will still make power, despite what some will tell you. Good Luck!

I may have asked you before :shrug:

Do you have a dyno pull of your newest combo?

I'd love to see the curves :nice:

btw ... You are the first person I've seen use a custom cam
with OEM iron heads

Grady

I'm pretty sure I have the graph in my 300hp thread I have in my sig. Since that graph, I've made a little higher numbers, but haven't bothered to upload the graph.. I think it was 315rwhp, and maybe 316-318tq, running a little race gas and a very lean mixture, plus no valve float. The last time the car was on the dyno was over 10 months ago, and since then I've started a new job as a Police Officer, so I just don't have as much time as I used to.

Lol.. I don't think I would have made the numbers without the custom cam... I had a pretty similar setup with the crane 2031, ported Cobra intake, and cleaned up GT40P's and only made 271rwhp at its best... 40+ rwhp had to come from somewhere..

The Trick Flow kit would definitely be a nice addition, but if you go that route, I'd recommend giving the exhaust ports a good cleaning up before installing them. As you can see from the pics I'm attaching here, they left a little to be desired over going with a set of AFR heads that are CNC machined from the factory. You can see some of the ports look crooked in these pics.

TFS2.jpg

TFS3.jpg

TFS4.jpg

Thanks Guys!!!

But I have a serious problem. I like everything to match, so would Trickflow Kit be something for me too look into??? (I Know but i am wierd like that I love everything to match as much as possible)

If matching stuff is that important to you then you can use
the TFS stuff :D

See if these basic steps help to put your mind at ease :)

Honestly ... Putting these parts together is not Rocket Science
or some kind of Black Magic ... or even ... something that is so
cutting edge ... it ain't ever been done before.

Where peeps go wrong is taking action BEFORE spending time
doing research .... OR ... Heaven Forbid ... None At ALL :eek:

Hard to believe I know :eek:
but
They show up here on a regular basis

You feel so bad for them :bang:
but
They bought the wrong stuff before gathering reliable data :(

anyway .........

By research ... I don't mean taking info to heart from others
who have not successfully done what you desire to do :nono:

The internet affords one a great opportunity to access all
different kinds of data :nice:

You just have to learn how to ...
weed out the bad from the good ;)

You want stuff to match ..........
The TFS kit has been used by everybody and his dog .........
Soooooo
You just dig up the data from those who used that kit
and see if their results meet your desires and goals.

None of my Combo matches but it came out to my liking
because I looked at several others who went down that
road and then took action by duplicating a good bit of
their efforts with a few twists of my own.

Grady

Great post as usual Grady and I agree 100%!

Mustangman9812- how much is too much compression in your opinion? if this is an NA or even a nitrous car I wouldn't shoot for anything less than 10.5:1 with a quality aluminum head.

Thanks again. The car will be a Street/Strip with little time at the strip though. It doesnt have to be smog legal ethier. Budget, this is a 3 year project money is really not a problem but i dont wont a $10,000 motor ethier. I just want A good setup with Matching Parts and still have a good HP/TQ numbers. I was shooting for 400rwhp or more with spray?