Can't get out of reverse... help.. please!!

admstng

Dec 12, 2003
I'm having problems in reverse, i was hearing a loose bolt inder my car by my exhaust... It wasn't part of the exhaust i don't think (can't really see, crappy jack stand and my car is low) well now that i tighten it i can't get my car out of gear? is this a coincidence? is there a bolt under the car that if tightned too tight, will do somthing liek this?

btw, i sat in the back seat with the car off and kicked the shifter, it's in there real good! i have work tomorrow and don't know what to do?!?!

thnx for any speedy replies!.. thnx

EDIT:: i tried pumping the clutch, no go...

• Sponsors (?)

Um it wouldn't happen to be on the drivers side of the tranny *the spot where you tightened the bolt*???? If it is you may have to pull it apart to fix it now....

BTW I SERIOUSLY recomend NOT kicking your shifter again you can seriously damage the shift forks by doing this.

no it wasn't.. i failed to mention that reverse was messed up to begin with... it's bearly staying in gear... I resolved the problem by giving it gas while in reverse.. it was weird, it wasn't moving when fulling in gear and clutch wide open? then all of a sudden it gave a bang and it popped out? i don't know, i think the shift firks are bent, and causing this problem? i really have no idea though, the tranny had 700 miles on it, and will have to pay 150 bucks for a new one, i know i shouldn't have to pay anything but the guy said no warranties, and was nice enough to fix it just for the cost of labor... thnx for your reply Mstang!

my tranny wouldn't stay in reverse either. it kept popping out as mentioned. i took it to a shop and they said ALL of my syncros were blown. and to rebuild it one piece alone was like $800 and another piece they didn't even make anymore. i just said screw it and bought a new w.c. t-5. if you put your foot in on the clutch, does it move at all? or the same? maybe your clutch cable is loose or possibly snapped and not engaging the clutch? i've heard of it not going into a gear before, but not coming out of one is weird. if you get it out, i highly HIGHLY recommend you get that checked out ASAP. it could get you stuck somewhere oneday.

you dont have the ebrake on or anything, right?
what happens if you loosen up that bolt the same amount you tightened it?

in case you did not know, to get into reverse smoothly, it helps to go into a forward gear (to slow things down), then go into reverse.

good luck.