Can't get over my V8 envy.

• Sponsors (?)

Money not-withstanding, you need to get what you desire or you will regret it everytime you get into your car. I started of getting a V6 not wanting to spend more than 20k, but really wanted the V8. As I started researching and adding options, I was going to pay about 25k with shipping, ext warranty, and fully loaded. I knew I'd regret it so I dropped another 5k for the V8. I will never regret it. Just do what you know will make you happy everytime you get in your car...

Excepcion13 said:
However, after my $5k of mods, I WILL be able to take a stock GT or at least make it a battle of the drivers...

Celtic, your GT would have beat a stock GT, though not by as wide a margin! Nice list of mods, by the way! What is your RWTQ?

lets not go that far.

ur only putting out 205 hp. GT's are a minimum of 255
-mike

Mike06_10pm said:
lets not go that far.

ur only putting out 205 hp. GT's are a minimum of 255
-mike

Right now a GT would whip me, and I know that. My statement was written in a future tense and not a present one. When I put the $5K (price difference) worth of mods on, which will occur sometime in the future, what I stated will be true. If I just drop another $1,000 on a full nitrous install (slated for late spring/early summer 06) I will be over 255 RWHP. A fellow V6er is putting down 253 RWHP/384 RWTQ and running 13.41@103 with an automatic and the following mods: Zex, C&L CAI, Magnaflow axle-back exhaust, SCT X-Cal2 with tunes provided by Alternative Auto, Motive 4.10, Ford Trac-Lock, BMR LCAs. Hmmmm... seems well under $5K to me, and that time does seem a tad lower than a stock V8's.

Believe me, I am not knocking the V8s, as they are awesome machines. But if you honestly think that a modified V6 can't take a stock GT for less than the price difference between the two, you are mistaken.

Get the GT if that's what you really want. Better to save for a few more months and get what you really want instead of making a compromise that you'll regret every time you see a GT drive by.

The Fang said:
That 5 miles less per gallon for a v8 is not worth the 5000 more price tag.
I also don't care for the fog lights.
And my thoughts on Power seats.... I have to wait for the slow power seat in my wifes car to move.

What kind of car enthusiast would prefer to have 5 (give or take) mpg more instead of a V8 with a ton more power. The styling differences are debatable, but I have said it once and I will say it again, the V6s just look naked and boring to me.

The differences in price is also very small depending on what you get. I know for a fact that I paid only a couple hundred more than some people on this site that bought "loaded" or vert V6s. Insurance isn't bad at all either, I am only 20 and I pay just over $400 every 6 months. I don't see how you could actually prefer a V6 over a GT unless performance means nothing to you.

Get a Mustang not a grocery getter.

You'll forever be saying:

Wow...I coulda had a V8!!!!

That's my take on it.
You've not pulled the trigger because the desire for that V8 rumble and smooth power is calling your name...

Buy the V6 and you've settled for less than your desires.

So as Cliche' as it may sound - You gotta follow your heart...

Szlachcic said:
What kind of car enthusiast would prefer to have 5 (give or take) mpg more instead of a V8 with a ton more power. The styling differences are debatable, but I have said it once and I will say it again, the V6s just look naked and boring to me.

The differences in price is also very small depending on what you get. I know for a fact that I paid only a couple hundred then some people on this site that bought "loaded" or vert V6s. Insurance isn't bad at all either, I am only 20 and I pay just over $400 every 6 months. I don't see how you could actually prefer a V6 over a GT unless performance means nothing to you.

Get a Mustang not a grocery getter.

What amazes me is that the only way YOU can "talk up" a GT is by "knocking down" a V6. Give yourself a nice pat on the back for your amazing powers of logic! Glad to see the thread descend to the perennial "ERGG! 8 BET-TA DAN 6! ERRG!!" :nice:

Remember, 8 under the hood doesn't give you 8 anywhere else... :rolleyes:

Motorhead6T5 said:
Keep in mind V6 stangs value drop like a rock compared to the v8 models. The money you save now will be lost when you sell it later. Just a thought.

Given that there is a higher than normal percentage of GT's being sold these days, I'm thinking you MAY be suprised about whether GT's hold their value better in the long term. If there are more of them on the street they hold less residual value since they're no longer hard to come by.

The bottom line is that ALL mass produced cars lose value the moment you first drive them off the lot.

martimus said:
Given that there is a higher than normal percentage of GT's being sold these days, I'm thinking you MAY be suprised about whether GT's hold their value better in the long term. If there are more of them on the street they hold less residual value since they're no longer hard to come by.

The bottom line is that ALL mass produced cars lose value the moment you first drive them off the lot.
Well there is really no way to tell yet for the s197's. I'm just going by the older models. Few year old new edge v6's are dirt cheap. Obviuosly the new v6's will be more desirable since they actualy do pack some performance now. Like I said its just a thought,but if I was going for v6 to save money and I typicaly kept cars for good amount of time,chances are I wouldn't be saving anything in the long run. Figure you buy a v6 for 20k and in 4 years its worth 8k. You will have lost 12k in depreciation. Buy a GT for 25k and in 4 years sell it for 16k you will have lost 9k in depreciation. None of this figures are fact, just speculation. But you can see what I mean. In 4 years you would be out 3k that you saved at the dealer by going with a v6.

Motorhead6T5 said:
Well there is really no way to tell yet for the s197's. I'm just going by the older models. Few year old new edge v6's are dirt cheap. Obviuosly the new v6's will be more desirable since they actualy do pack some performance now. Like I said its just a thought,but if I was going for v6 to save money and I typicaly kept cars for good amount of time,chances are I wouldn't be saving anything in the long run. Figure you buy a v6 for 20k and in 4 years its worth 8k. You will have lost 12k in depreciation. Buy a GT for 25k and in 4 years sell it for 16k you will have lost 9k in depreciation. None of this figures are fact, just speculation. But you can see what I mean. In 4 years you would be out 3k that you saved at the dealer by going with a v6.

I have the Pony Package... Do you think that helps or hurts? :D

Seriously, on the resale issue, I think you are correct that a stock GT will hold its value better. However, since we all mod our cars, doesn't it make the point moot? Who the hell is goping to buy our cars?!?!? :shrug:

Excepcion13 said:

Seriously, on the resale issue, I think you are correct that a stock GT will hold its value better. However, since we all mod our cars, doesn't it make the point moot? Who the hell is goping to buy our cars?!?!? :shrug:
I'm sure the pony package will help lol. Just buy bolt ons,and they will unbolt when you need to sell :nice:

Excepcion13 said:

there are alot of kids by me who will prob by my car with the stuff i have in it and wouldnt mind paying for the parts either.

they like how the exaust sounds and want that. you would be suprised.

i would buy a hooked up car if everything was right about it (condition, price, engine wear..)
-mike

Excepcion13 said:
Right now a GT would whip me, and I know that. My statement was written in a future tense and not a present one. When I put the $5K (price difference) worth of mods on, which will occur sometime in the future, what I stated will be true. If I just drop another $1,000 on a full nitrous install (slated for late spring/early summer 06) I will be over 255 RWHP. A fellow V6er is putting down 253 RWHP/384 RWTQ and running 13.41@103 with an automatic and the following mods: Zex, C&L CAI, Magnaflow axle-back exhaust, SCT X-Cal2 with tunes provided by Alternative Auto, Motive 4.10, Ford Trac-Lock, BMR LCAs. Hmmmm... seems well under $5K to me, and that time does seem a tad lower than a stock V8's.

Believe me, I am not knocking the V8s, as they are awesome machines. But if you honestly think that a modified V6 can't take a stock GT for less than the price difference between the two, you are mistaken.

why complicate things just get a GT if your trying to keep up with them, its better than having a stressed out v6,

merlinsteele said:
Sorry for the silly title, but not sure how else to put it. I haven't bought yet, and frequently torment the salesmen at the dealerships, particularly the one closest to my house. Well, I don't intentionally torment them, but I do visit them often.

Anyway, a good example of what I'm talking about happened last night. Went by the dealership, and with a lot of the cars there is a Vista Blue 06 V6, a color that I like. I've been dreaming of a GT, but don't think I really need it. I drove the car (again, I've driven a few) and with the standard, it had plenty of pep for this old fart. It's pretty much a stripped down model, and they've changed the wheels from the cheapo looking hubcaps to the 16 inch wheels with the spinners, not my favorite, but it's a step up.

The lowest price I've seen on the ford site you can get is $19,8 or something like this. They offered it to me for $18,8. $1000 cheaper the color is nice. It has no spoiler on it or stripes. Bonus on that is I could fix it up like I want it.

Downside is, I don't know why I don't just get it. (It's not a GT, probably) Yeah, I'd like to have at least power seats, but that seems petty and trivial if thats the only thing I'm griping about. I keep looking and stalling, trying to save more money for a better downpayment, which I know is smart, but I'm getting so impatient! I don't want a $500 car payment, especially when I know the insurance on a GT won't be low. Anyway, sorry for the long story. Any thoughts?

Whichever car you choose to buy, you shouldn't have any regrets (i.e. "Man! I should've bought the V6" or "Man! I should've bought the GT").
If you don't, then that car was the right choice.
As for insurance, I pay $425, per 6 months, for full coverage on my GT.
As for my 350Z, I pay $373, per 6 months, for full coverage.
No regrets!
Best of luck to you.

shadowland2000 said:
1. There is just no point to getting a Mustang without a V8.
2. There are so many better v6 choices.

1. Why not? Because you say so? Because it's "not cool?" :shrug:
2. There are no better V6 choices for the price. IF there are, please provide examples. And the 2006 Eclipse GT is NOT an example, as our cars look better, launch better, and weigh less.

Most people have the right idea: get what you want. Actually, the title of the thread answers the poster's question. Merlinsteele wants a V8 and should buy one. That will make him happiest. :nice: