Cant get the damn starter OFF!

• Sponsors (?)

well i tryed using the rubber mallet and i wacked it many time and it still will not move it acts as if its stuck on the top of the starter. I also took a long flat head screwdriver and tryed to gently pry it off and the bottom of the start pulls away from tranny but the stop stays put. I dont know only other thing i can think of is a stick of dynamite..lol

98blackstallion said:
I have removed the 2 bolts that hold it on and i have removed the 2 wires on the front of the starter.

you only took out 2 bolts? There are 3 bolts folding starter on. Top one is hard to see, and hard to get to. But its there.
Unless you take them out, you can yank on it all you want. It wont come out:nonono:

Here's what I found on-line from advance auto: Part # A3243S

1998 Ford Mustang GT, V8 4.6L
a3243s.jpg

98blackstallion said:
i cant get the damn starter of my 98 GT. I have removed the 2 bolts that hold it on and i have removed the 2 wires on the front of the starter. I have put some force on the starter trying to wiggle it and it wont budge..what is going on here
3 bolts on the starter. to get the top one, get alot of extentions, and you can get at it easier from over the K-member. This is how I have always done it.

well hell im screwed right now because i cant even feel the top bolt let alone get a socket and a crapload of extensions. Why does ford do this to us? Im going ot tech school to learn mechanics and i have worked on quite a few cars and ford by far has done someof the most ridiculous things with there placements of bolts and parts lol.

That top starter bolt was the bane of my exsistance when installing the long tubes. If i can give you one piece of advice is to sit on the floor, poke your head up so your level with the bolt. Use all the extensions you can find plus a swivel socket on the end. Then have a buddy stand above and guide the socket onto the bolt. good luck and make sure youleave your self plenty of time and patience

Also consider replacing the 1st 2 bolts you took out. All the force of the starter is now on the 1 bolt that is giving you trouble.

Hard lesson I learned as a kid. Crack all 3 bolts b4 pulling any of them. If you are not carefull you will snap the head off the 3rd bolt.

mrvax said:
Also consider replacing the 1st 2 bolts you took out. All the force of the starter is now on the 1 bolt that is giving you trouble.

Hard lesson I learned as a kid. Crack all 3 bolts b4 pulling any of them. If you are not carefull you will snap the head off the 3rd bolt.

Excellent bit of advice. :cheers:

98blackstallion said:
well hell im screwed right now because i cant even feel the top bolt let alone get a socket and a crapload of extensions. Why does ford do this to us? Im going ot tech school to learn mechanics and i have worked on quite a few cars and ford by far has done someof the most ridiculous things with there placements of bolts and parts lol.

Ford has done crazy things!!! All of these companies do crazy things, they just dont think of the average mechanic working on these cars. The front headlight went out on my girlfriends 01 grand am, guess what, to replace it, I needed, 10 mm socket to remove the entire radiator protector, then a set of torx bits to remove the entire headlight assembly, then I got to replace the bulb and put it all back together. A 45 minute job that should have taken about 45 seconds.