Engine Canton Road Race T-sump Pan

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello All,

Some of you may or may not know, that I recently inherited an assembled DSS Racing, CNC-20, race prepped, 306 Long Block (minus a few things).

It's a long story, that thread is available here:

Anyways, after speaking with DSS about the engine and sharing quite a few photos with them they recommended running a high-volume oil pump, and a larger oil pan. So I have been on the hunt for pan and recently picked up this Canton road race style plan for real cheap.

It doesn't look like it's been used. It appears to be an older model.

1hTkkuQ.jpg

bB9aKae.jpg

closest Product link I can find:

I have already test fit the pan with the high volume pump and pick up. It fits with both of those. It fits over the main girdle and windage tray. All the parts websites seem to say it will fit the stock K-member. It seems to be a win.

My questions are:

1. Is there a recommended distance between the oil pump and pan? It all seems to fit but it is tight.
2. How does one measure the distance between the two?
3. Is there any reason why one should NOT use a "road race" pan on a street car? The car will see the occasional drag strip but only on a "for fun" basis, nothing competitive.
4. For those of you who have graduated to a "big boy" oil pan, do you guys still use the stock pan rails?

Thanks for your time and expertise.

-Justin

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

#1 I think 3/8" is what my stock pan is at.
#2 I used playdough, I rolled up a ball about 1 1 /2" and placed it on the pan where the pickup would be and bolted it snugly with a gasket then noted how thick it was when I took off the pan.
# 3 just pay attention to how low it would be compared to stock. If your car is extremely low it will be trouble.
#4 I didn't but it was a long time ago.

Engine mounts are where you adjust kmember to pan clearance. What mounts do you have?

They are advertised as 7qt pans, but I seem to remember being able to run more after filling the pan, and checking on the dipstick I was using. Vague memory though...

I'd use the factory rail supports/load distributors on that pan.
Some of the pans that had ribbing in between the rail holes, may be able to get away without using the rail supports?

If a stock pan holds 5, my guess is that one is more than 7.

Like karthief I would worry about ground clearance.
I speak as a guy that scraped a pan open on the street.

As for the hi volume setup? I'm still not buying into it.
They made that determination by looking at photos of an assembled engine?

They made the recommendation for the high volume pump based on the original PO that was ordered for the engine.

I called, I gave them the PO, and they were able to look up the entire original work order, see all the custom machining work that was done, and the parts list.

I am not married to this pan, I just got a good deal on it. My main concern is clearing the girdle and windage tray.

Engine mounts are where you adjust kmember to pan clearance. What mounts do you have?

They are advertised as 7qt pans, but I seem to remember being able to run more after filling the pan, and checking on the dipstick I was using. Vague memory though...

I'd use the factory rail supports/load distributors on that pan.
Some of the pans that had ribbing in between the rail holes, may be able to get away without using the rail supports?

I do not have mounts yet. That was going to be another question. I guess I didn't know they could be different heights.

I've forgotten everything I once knew on the matter...

351w swap thread, but I put what I learned about engine mounts at the time in my post there...
Engine Mounts-
Stock 5.0 mounts will bolt up to the 351w. Aftermarket alternatives include solid mounts and polyurethane mounts. Convertible Engine mounts are rumored to be stronger & shorter. Another alternative is a set of lowering engine mounts from either Year One, Moroso, or HP Motorsports (HPM). These are solid and lower the motor ~¾”. Lowering engine mounts are useful for gaining hood clearance, but will also reduce clearance between the oil pan and stock k-member. This presents clearance issues with some aftermarket pans and stock k-members, but should be ok for the FRPP pan. The use of an aftermarket tubular k-member may help improve clearance with aftermarket oil pans.

Hey guys,

Spoke with DSS racing again tonight and I had it wrong.

They recommended a high PRESSURE oil pump, not a high VOLUME oil pump. :doh:

The high pressure pump is the same physical dimensions as the stock pump and will fit in my stock oil pan, meaning I didn’t need this giant oil pan to begin with. So I ordered that and a pickup from them this evening. Going with the stock pan.

That’s my bad. Sorry to have bugged you gents about this.

In other news, anyone need a road race pan?