Car Acting Like Its Going To Stall?

deedee

Jul 6, 2012
This is a little hard to explain but I'll try my best...

After I drive the car for a bit and turn it off... and then go to start it back up again the car shakes. Feels like the engine although I could be wrong. Even after I put it in drive it continues to jerk and shake. It pulls and accelerates real fast or slows down. Can last a couple seconds or minutes but it does stop after a while. Its like a rough idle, but continues even in drive.

I've replaced the battery, got a new alternator and spark plugs. All of these things have helped temporarily but eventually the problem comes back. Any ideas? If I haven't made anything clear please just ask. Thanks!

Cars got a lot of miles - 156,xxx

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of that code just scan it at autozone then clear all codes cut the car off then turn the scanner off. Then repeat the scan and see if it pops up again. ? Most time its a glitch in the computer. Or pull battery cables for 10 min and unplug the computer for 10 mins plug computer back in and then the battery and it will fully reset all to factory setting? It worked for me can not hurt and hey its Free

If you want to reset the ignition control unit, pull the neg. battery cable AND put the headlight switch in the "on" position. Wait at least 20 mins, or you can do it overnight.

Sounds crazy, but it's apparently the way it's wired. This drains the energy from the keep alive memory. Your car will take about 50 miles to re-learn it's strategy.

You can also inspect the camshaft synchronizer-everyone I know with a 3.8 family car has trouble with it.

Take the sensor off the synchronizer (5.5 mm socket required) and look inside the synchronizer-if it looks like there is rust or other residue in there, it's bad.

We don't even know the year of the car, so giving proper advice is going to be tough.

1994+ Mustang V6 Mustang is OBD-2, so if the check engine light is on, you can go to autozone and have the code read. Unsure if the light is on, you didn't specify otherwise.

If it's an early V6, it will have ignition wires which would be my first suggestion (you said you changed the plugs). If it's a later V6, it wont have wires but COP's. If there was a misfire, you'd have a code and the CEL would be on. Again, you didn't say yes or no so no clue.

150K miles is high miles. What sort of maintainence has been done?

EGR system maybe? try cleaning the egr vacuum regulator out with electrical cleaner , it sounds like the same problem i had , and thats what i did to fix mine , and mine didnt throw a code, also the fuel pressure regulator may b bad , if it is it will b sucking fuel into the intake , all u can do to fix that is buy a new one , and in case u don't know where it is its right behind the intake plenum up against the firewall , a way to check it is to use a clear vacuum hose in place of the original one and see if u can see gas flowing threw it when the car is running , if it is the fuel pressure regulator than it will definatly cause the engine to act like its going to stall