Car Backfired, Flames

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
I was on my way back from eating and a friend was following me and when I went WOT, he said that he saw BOTH of my tailpipes shoot out flames!!!

It's totally possible too, because right now my car is running very rich, and the exhaust is completely open all the way down.

Just wanted to share the crazy news with everyone. Anyone have any similar experiences?

• Sponsors (?)

I was on my way back from eating and a friend was following me and when I SOTP, he said that he saw BOTH of my tailpipes shoot out flames!!!

It's totally possible too, because right now my car is running very rich, and the exhaust is completely open all the way down.

Just wanted to share the crazy news with everyone. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Wait a minute...a friend was following you when you "seat of the pants" ? WTH?

Never had it happen to me....but then again, my cars never been rich. Its been stock, then lean and now perfect. :D
But anyways, congrats :shrug:

Well, make the most out of your rich condition. Here is a simplified diagram:
View attachment 407337

You know you want to. Do it man. You want to roll with the big dogs, you gotta have afterburners. Don't be square dude.:cool: Burn down your neighbors yard. Scare animals and small children. Give the cops something to think about before they chase you.

View attachment 407339

You know you want it. We're all behind you.

Well, make the most out of your rich condition. Here is a simplified diagram:
View attachment 407333

You know you want to. Do it man. You want to roll with the big dogs, you gotta have afterburners. Don't be square dude.:cool: Burn down your neighbors yard. Scare animals and small children. Give the cops something to think about before they chase you.

View attachment 407335

You know you want it. We're all behind you.
I might do this...just for a day or so. Where can I get a cheap coil?

I had this setup on my old Mustang. At WOT you get a rich condition anyway. Just go to Autozone, and pick up one of those $30 Mallory coils off the shelf. Any old spark plug will work, and a short piece of plug wire. The exhaust pipe should more or less be grounded. I didn't have to ground mine, but it worked better when I tack welded a ground strap from the pipe to the body. It is so simple to make a flame thrower. Don't take it in to state inspection with that stuff on there. It is fast and easy to take off. I didn't wire mine to be permanent. I just tied the coil with zip-ties. I normally turned mine off before I let off the throttle. I did get banned from the track for a day in Marion/Sequin, TX for using some burner for a run. It looked cool, but the tech people didn't think it was.

to make3 the coil fire you will need a pulsed ground. it will not fire with a constant 12V. i did the same thing on my old K5 and it didnt work. hook up a pulsed ground signal to the coil and it worked like a charm.

i was helping mine out a little bit too. i had open exhaust and was also spraying propane in the tail pipes:nice:

I found a really cheap 2-post coil pack for $20 at Advanced Auto Parts. It's a GP Sorensen or something like that. Will this work?

I only want to do this to see how well it works. There's NO way I'll keep it on there. hahaha

That coil will work. You can find a pulsed signal a few places. Either + or - can be pulsed. As long as the coil's magnetic field is interrupted causing the field to collapse. It is just easier to pulse the positive. Normally on an old school car you go off the existing ignition. It's hooked up so it kills a cycle and allows the cylinder to fill with gas, and then dumps it all into the exhaust. You won't get big fire like what a lot of pictures show; with fuel injected cars you get some flame, but not as much. It doesn't really work on catted exhaust either. I built an oscillator with a 555 timer, and had it trigger a relay which went to the positive side of the coil. To set the frequency I used a 0.1uF cap, and a potentiometer. That way it was variable, and I could find the right pulse to make it work best. You will have to fiddle with it to make it right. I didn't try splicing into one of coils. That was something I was unsure of.
Or you could probably just throw the switch back and forth really fast. :D