Car Backfiring After Each Shift, Poor Acceleration Immediately After

I just did a GT40 Explorer Intake swap on my 5.0 SN95, and about 3 days later my engine would backfire changing gears, and shift extremely rough. If I mashed into the throttle after a shift, it would just stay flat and slowly creep up to about 3k, then will accelerate as normal. I can't figure out why this is, and why it happened a few days after and not immediately. I have checked times and time over for any vacuum leaks, there are none. Checked plugs and wires, all checks out fine. What next?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Is it throwing any Codes? May be there even though it’s not throwing a CEL.
Did you go back & retorque the Intake to spec’s after the 1st time, sometimes they require another retorque check or two. Don’t overtorque or you’ll lift the Heads.
Backfiring, Check your Header Bolts, Exhaust for leaks, any melted 02 sensor or other wires that are settling again.
Running an EGR?
If you have one, verify your Chipset is still secure on your EEC. No excess noise under the Valvecovers?
Check your Cool air intake clamps, spray the MAF with CRC, IAT.
See what that uncovers, if anything, will eliminate some of the typical swap items..
Will look for a follow up, move on if required.
Good luck!
-John

Hey John,
Codes 122 and 327 (327 Expected, EGR Gone)
Checked plugs / wires, plugs seemed fine, no signs of excessive wear or rich condition
Intake is properly re-torqued. I might have an exhaust crack on the header, but it's been there for a while, I didn't think it would cause the harsh shifting though and hesistation afterwards?
Replaced TPS due to code 122, code is still there however after a day of driving since
Cleaned the MAF
I advanced the timing to 12 degrees when doing the swap but this issue appeared about 3 days after timing was set and running. Would it be beneficial to set it back to stock? Running 93 pump gas.
I'll take a look at the O2 Sensors, but isn't shooting a code for them.
I've also heard the IAC could be an issue as well, since my idle fluctuates every so slightly and is a tad high stopped (about 900). Sometimes in a low-speed situation when I have to clutch in the engine will be near stalling (200 rpms) and then save itself last second, especially in any reverse situation.

Any help is very appreciated, this has been a headache.

Hi,
This a 94’ or 95’ 5.0,? Any other aftermarket components added when you did the swap? Any already present? added (specifically Ignition)?
1) The motor ran fine before, no issues at all as described, how did it first present?
2) You just changed the Intake, not Heads or Cam? ANY other Mod’s?
Troubleshooting:.
1) Make your ground connections to from the Battery to the block, Block to Chassis are solid. Remove them, clean, reinstall.
2) Pull your Battery Cable for an hour, reconnect, see if things change.
3) You did clear the Codes after jotting them down, addressing them?
4) The IAC May be a part of it, Idle, but doesn’t line up with the rest. Check it’s operation & verify connectors & its gasket’s not leaking.
5) I’d be looking at the Dizzy, take it apart & brush, clean, spray any debris out of the bowl with CRC MAF Cleaner.
6) 12 Degrees Advance isn’t ridiculous, but rechecking it might not be a bad idea. Did you mark the balancer @ Zero & 10 Deg? Setting it at 10 won’t hurt, ran fine before @12, and it should now.. I usually shoot for 14, unless it pings, then back off. You set it with the SPOUT removed- correct? Verify it’s still there & making good contact.
7) Surging May also be a sign of Coolant being low, (CTS) top it off & ensure it’s not airbound.
8) Pull a plug (or use another, spark tester) and look for a strong (fat blue spark). Block as ground. What’s your Gaps set at, what Plugs?
9) Did you fill up at a spot you normally do, did this start shortly after getting new fuel?
10) Check continuity from Battery ground to Dizzy Chassis with a VOM.
11) Do things clear up when running well below operating temp, just started & run through its paces (don’t overkill it when running cold), just look the midrange change before it’s running closed loop.
12) Did you set the TPS with a VOM to < 1V closed, 4V when WOT? If not, unsure, recheck.
13) Pull your TFI off & bring it into Advanced Auto, bring a hair dryer. As it’s being tested, hit it with some heat to see if it remains OK, if not- replace the TFI.
14) What’s your Fuel Pressure at the Rail, if you don’t have a gauge in place, test it via the Schrader Valve.(Advanced should have one if you don’t).
15) Check your Fuel Pressure regulator, pull the line & induce a vacuum, can you taste or get a strong odor of fuel? If so, replace.
16) These Yr’s had an issue with the internal Fuel tank baffle breaking loose, causing issues similar to this.
17) Verify the Vacuum lines are not only solid, but going to the right spot(s), if unused & live vacuum exists, plug.
18) Carefully follow your wiring harnesses that were disturbed, check every injector connection, ECTS, T.B. is tight, etc.
19) Fire the Car when dark to look for stray arc’s in the ignition or wires, etc. raise the RPM & see it it changes in your problematic RPM ranges.
- A Lean condition is usually the cause of backfires, look at Injectors if this list doesn’t catch an issue.
-A manifold, header crack should be repaired, it will eventually be an issue, pulling in cool O2 will cause popping, but don’t believe it’s an issue now, if not before.
-I was looking for something that’s changed since the swap, things get stretched out & plugs get moved, check all your connectors & connections.
Did you clean your MAF by blasting it with CRC MAF Cleaner? Most other cleaners will leave a residue & cause issues.
Engine running, Pull the MAF Plug & see if the Car drops Idle & runs worse?
- Try these, it should uncover something, if you have another Dizzy- try it. All aftermarket ignition parts are 1st suspect. If you went aftermarket, swap out OE parts you may have that worked previously. One by one, check, so you don’t get lost.
If you’re uncertain about troubleshooting a part, just ask & I’ll explain, or give you a link.
See what you find.
Good luck!
-John