Car didn't start this morning, but did this afternoon

66 Tiger

Jul 13, 2003
Virginia
Well as mentioned, my 90 5-liter LX would not start this morning. Temp was around 50 degrees ( cold for South Fl ) & when I hit the starter it would just crank. Not even a hint of it wanting to start. I checked the coil wires & the fuel pump seemed to be running. Anyway, when I got home this afternoon I decided to try the starter and it fired right up? :shrug: Does anyone know if there is a choke or some sensor that would prevent the car from starting in cooler weather if it were faulty? It seems to run really rich too, if that makes any diff. I just got the car a couple of weeks ago so I don't know if this is mabey some re-occuring prob that the car has.

• Sponsors (?)

86QtrHorse said:
Temp was around 50

Does anyone know if there is a choke or some sensor that would prevent the car from starting in cooler weather if it were faulty?

Woah 50 is cold weather? If it hits 50 here i'm gonna take the sunroof off and cruise around in a t-shirt! :D

Just messing. I was having problems starting mine the other week..but the temps were around 0-10 degrees.

There are sensors that would prevent it from starting if it gets cold, but your best bet would be to check the check engine codes. No light doesn't necessarily mean no engine codes. Also, since it is a new car to you, you may want to do a complete tune up no matter what the previos owner did. This would include a oil change, spark plugs (stay away from platnium) spark plug wires, PCV, fuel filter, air filter, check timing, reset the TPS to 0.95 volts and clean the IAC and perform the idle reset procedure.

Thanks Mustang5L5.... I just replaced the fuel tank & filter. ( tank was leaking ) I'll try the other stuff you advised as well. I also suspect the timing is off due to the car running rich & the absence of lower rpm power.
Also, how do I check codes? Is there something I can purchase or do I need to take it to a shop? ( i'd rather not! )

GT40XStang9 said:
That happens to me every so often when it gets cold outside, but my problem is the fuel pump relay. Are you sure you were hearing the pump prime?

I can't swear I heard the pump prime this morning, but it definatley did this afternoon. Where is the fuel pump relay located at?