Car is A Shaking

Ducati998ss

May 24, 2004
Today i finished Installing a PI intake manifold on a 98 GT. We took it for a test drive a nd noticed right away something wasnt right. All through 1st and 2nd the car vibrates really bad and jerks. Almsot like its not getting fuel. Also then when you punch it there is no acceleration. the RPMS go up very slowly. Now my car feels like a v6 instead of an v8. I feel like there is no power. After dirving around for 5 minutes we stopped and looked under the engine. We checked all the vacuum lines and made sure the injectors were in tight. We check to make sure there was leaks anywhere. We didnt find anything. The vehicle looked perfectly fine. Everything was back where it was suppose to. There was no leaks anywhere. Can anyone think what might cause this?

• Sponsors (?)

haha know any help will do. Yea we checked all spark plugs and wires. I even had a friend that was a mechanic go over it and he couldnt figure out what was up. Also when i was coming home the check engine light came on so now i know something up. I just need o run a diagnostic to figure out what. By chance if a clutch was going would it mak ethe check engine light come on?

We ran the codes and it came up as the #4 spark plug/wire/injector was misfiring. Now when i check the spark plug are there was coolant in it. I took out the plug and to my best ability tried to clean the spark plug area. I replaced it with a new a plug. Now though the car is misfiring and backfiring too. Is this probably cause the wire got damaged by the coolant? Also when there was coolant inside i tried my best to get it out before removing the plug, but maybe about less then a teaspoon fell down in to engine? How bad is this? Should i be really worried now?

Ducati998ss said:
We ran the codes and it came up as the #4 spark plug/wire/injector was misfiring. Now when i check the spark plug are there was coolant in it. I took out the plug and to my best ability tried to clean the spark plug area. I replaced it with a new a plug. Now though the car is misfiring and backfiring too. Is this probably cause the wire got damaged by the coolant? Also when there was coolant inside i tried my best to get it out before removing the plug, but maybe about less then a teaspoon fell down in to engine? How bad is this? Should i be really worried now?

I wonder who told you to check for that. :D

it's very common to get coolant into the wells. you need to dry out the wire and plug the best you can.

check the other plug wells to. you may have multiple misses with the PCM only picking one of them up. I have never seen only one well with coolant. most of the time if you have collant in one you will have coolant in several if not all of them

I had alot of trouble getting my car to run right after the PI intake swap. RESET the computer. Take the negative off and push your foot on the brake for 30 seconds to drain all power out of the computer. Hook it back up, start the car and let it idle for a while. Check all the injector plugs, check the IAC connector, etc.

svttech76 said:
I wonder who told you to check for that. :D

it's very common to get coolant into the wells. you need to dry out the wire and plug the best you can.

check the other plug wells to. you may have multiple misses with the PCM only picking one of them up. I have never seen only one well with coolant. most of the time if you have collant in one you will have coolant in several if not all of them

Yea thank you been helpful.

We actually checked all of them and only the #4 one had coolant in it. We think that when we pulled a hose off that had coolant in it that some of it went down the well. Does the coolant damage the wires? Should i just buy new ones?

1) be sure to reset computer

2) I had the problem on my old 91 turned out to be i had the spark plugs wired wrong on the distrubitor, so make sure all your cops are secure

3) make sure all your spark plugs are secure (make sure they are correctly torqued)

4) check to make sure the manifold is torqued down to factory specification to insure there are no vacuum leaks

Ducati998ss said:
Yea thank you been helpful.

We actually checked all of them and only the #4 one had coolant in it. We think that when we pulled a hose off that had coolant in it that some of it went down the well. Does the coolant damage the wires? Should i just buy new ones?

the coolant should not damage the coil,wire or plug as long as you clean it. it might take awile to get it to run right again.

It started to run okay last night after i took a blow dryer and tried to dry it out the best i could. It wont misfire when im cruising but if i step on the gas and get on it it will then misfire.

Sounds like it is starting to dry out Ducati...Might go through it one more time. I took an old rag and wrapped it around a screwdriver to dry out the wire connector. You can do the same inside the spark plug receptor. A blow dryer will not dry up the coolent since it's evap point is real high.