Car is still cutting out please help

ninetyseven

Apr 15, 2003
I have a 97 GT with an of road H pipe. The car has been cutting out while driving. It will cut out when I have the cruise set and I have to go up a hill the RPMs will flutter until I take the cruise off, it also cuts out while driving in town especially in the lower rpm range and everytime I shift gears. It is not running rough, it just quits and catches itself before it dies. The only way I can get it to not do this is to either floor it or barely creep, anything in between is cutting out. When it cuts out it seem always to be really random, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. I got a code readout and got code P0320 which said the crankshaft position sensor, or ignition tachometer... anyways changed fuel filter first, then new plugs and wires, then changed the cranshaft position sensor, then put a new fuel pump in, after I put the new fuel pump in the car ran good for 15 miles then the CE light came on and the car started doing the same thing. I also got trouble codes for O2 sensors, but I haven't had cats on the car for almost 3 years and it has ran fine. I really am at odds here I don't even know where to start, but that was as best as I can describe it, could someone out there please help me!:bang:

I no longer have NX or NGK plugs.

• Sponsors (?)

I pretty much ignored the O2 codes, because I didn't think that would be the problem, but it was something about being the O2 sensors being heated? I am getting a scanner this evening and will post the codes when I get them.

the O2 sensor codes were all for sensor number 2 bank 1 and 2. I put a new pressure regulator on this evening, everything seemed fine except my fuel pressure is reading about 25 psi at idle, that is why I changed the regulator. After I changed the regulator the pressure did not change, but the car ran fine, I drove it about 50 miles back to my home it did fine except for the last mile then began to cut out like before. What I don't understand is why the car would run completly fine for 49 miles, and then screw up on the home stretch, I'm pretty upset and about ready to give up.

the O2 sensor codes were all for sensor number 2 bank 1 and 2. I put a new pressure regulator on this evening, everything seemed fine except my fuel pressure is reading about 25 psi at idle, that is why I changed the regulator. After I changed the regulator the pressure did not change, but the car ran fine, I drove it about 50 miles back to my home it did fine except for the last mile then began to cut out like before. What I don't understand is why the car would run completly fine for 49 miles, and then screw up on the home stretch, I'm pretty upset and about ready to give up.

Definetely replace the faulty o2 sensors. If they aren't reading correctly, your car could run lean, and it won't run right.

You might want to consider the fuel system your problem. Check the injectors for dirt/debris. You can unplug them one at a time and if the car stops quiting, you know you found a faulty injector.

Do you have a handheld tuner so you can datalog?

Wow 25psi is not right in the least bit. That is where your problem lies. I am telling you, you definitely need at least 35-40psi at idle. It is possable to have put in another bad fuel pump. Make sure that your fuel pressure is good. Try a different fuel press. gauge maybe. Curious what happens get back to me on this one. I am a ford tech and have workshop manuals online and stuff if you need any other help.

For what it's worth i had the exact same problem in my car for about a week last year. Of all things it turned out to be that i hadn't completely plugged back in the MAF sensor harness when i had removed the intake tubing. Would drive normal but sometimes it would just die,like i had taken my foot off the gas and the ignition had been shut off.