car keeps overheating

so i finally got my 4.10's installed and took the car off the jack stands for the first time in a month. i thought i would start it to see how the electric fan setup works. i filled the radiator with fluid. it only took about half of a gallon? and i thought maybe i need to fill the coolent passages. i start it up and turn the heat on. the electric fan never turns on. i turned the car off when the heat got up to above normal. i take a lighter to test the fan and heat the probe. it turns on. so then i am wondering. i take the rad cap off with a rag and its boiling so i put it back on. i touch the radiator and its as cool as can be. it doesnt seem like water is flowing. does this sound like maybe i installed the t-stat in the wrong way?

• Sponsors (?)

you probably have air in the system. fill the radiator up to the top and leave the cap off...let it sit for about an hour.

or start it up with the cap out and as the fluid level drops keep adding to the radiator.

+1

Park it on an incline so the radiator is the highest point of the engine and let it run with the cap off. Add fluid as the bubbles come out.

The electric fans with a probe in the radiator dont work unless the system is air free. I would know.

The stock fuse for a GT cooling fan (94-95) is 60 amps as I recall. However, the controller you're using sounds to be the limiting [amperage] factor, and the 94-95 GT fans had issues with overloading the circuit when the motor shorted out (often *NOT* blowing the fuse).

You're probably blowing the fuse with the start-up draw of the fan though. I'd use a set-up configured for the requirements of the fan.

Just don't go with a fuse that's rated too high for the weakest link (probably your controller or possibly the wiring).