Car randomly goes to WOT, what could it be???

TomCat

Apr 19, 2005
Utah
Yep, the stangs got a new problem :notnice: I was driving down to school today, everything seemed just fine till I hit the first stop light. Start gargling all wierd so I tapped the gas lightly... well I have no idea why, but it suddenly went to full throttle and stuck there. It scared the **** outta me... I tried tapping the gas pedal to see if I could bring it back down, but no luck. I shut off the engine and immediately started her back up... perfect, no idle problems whatsoever. Cruise another 10 minutes and the story repeats... and repeats. I check my linkages, and I don't think there's anyway it could be sticking since it feels all free and good, but I did spray some WD on there just incase. Cleaned the MAF, made sure all vaccuum hoses were intact, blah blah blah the usual. No luck though, it still does it after awhile of cruising. Recently I took out the smog pump and blocked all the lines off, so that's the only thing I could relate it to... but I'm not seeing how. I did a pretty nice job of removing it. If you have any tips or ideas on what to check, please post them up! This is really starting to get on my nerves!
Oh and btw, it was colder this morning... so maybe the temperature has something to do with it?

Thanks,

Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

Well my DMM is dead so I can't check the TPS right now.... but while my bud was looking around the engine bay he noticed that the distributor cap adapter was cracked and wiggling allover, so I'm replacing that as well. Thanks for the tips everyone...

sorry, but there is NOTHING that can make your car go WOT, sure, it could stick wide open, but you do not have a drive by wire setup........ most that can happen, is the iac opens, and the rpm would jump to about 2300 or so in nuetral.

cruise control would not even do this, it could only hold the rpm where you revved it to.......

i would suggest pulling the intake tube at the tbody, and open the throttle wide open, see if you gotta buncha gunk that is catching the blade and making it hang open.

good luck

bynummustang said:
I know its not tech. but the same thing happened to me in my civic, but it was the floor mat that got caught on the gas pedel. I doubt its that, but its a free check.

You know there was a recall on that problem on the civics. Just for your info not sure if you still have it.

same problem here a while ago - went WOT on the FIRST drive around the block after rebuilding the engine - talk about pissed off - anyway my problem was the cruise control cable/linkage was rusted and nasty. I cut the CC cable off the car and haven't had a problem since. This was 2 years ago - The pedal felt much smoother after removing it as well...

maybe the IAC is sticking open....it'll allow more air to pass through the TB than what you've got the throttle set to... a friend of mine chased that problem for two weeks, and finally figured it out-the damn thing was sticking open and allowing the engine to hit 3000rpm instantly...and since the IAC allows metered air pass over, the puter will add gas to keep up with the air...

if your linkages are good, and it resets just by shutting off and restarting the car-ck the IAC

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be checking the linkages (though I'm pretty sure they're good) and the IAC. Seemed to be a lot higher than 3000 RPM, but my tach is dead, so I don't know.

Thanks again, I'll post up my results.

Well I finally got around to doing all this and tested my TPS. Read .67v when cranked all the way. :( Got a new one, set it to .99 and wow, very very nice. Hasn't done the RPM thing to me anymore.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Brandon