Car Shuts Off When I Use Turn Signals

• Thread starter Deleted member 87397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87397

(FIXED) Car Shuts Off When I Use Turn Signals

Ok, I was moving my 86 to my new house yesterday from being stored at my brother's and every time I went to turn on the turn signals it killed the car. I had to revert to motorcycle hand signals for turning until I got home. it killed the car every time I used the right hand sinal and occasionally on the left. Has anyone ever had this happen? Currently the dash is out of the car with the whole harness exposed, so it's enrtirely possible I jarred something and loosened a connection somewhere. This just started yesterday though. I've driven the car numerous times in the past few months with no issues. Could it possibly be the switch inside the column going bad or is is more likely a short somewhere in my wiring?

• Sponsors (?)

Replace the ignition switch...

There was a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire. That burns up the steering column and sometimes the car interior. Since this is very old information, you may not be able to get the switch replaced for free anymore. The auto parts stores sell the switches for $13-$15.

Saleen0679 was nice enough to dig this up for us awhile back: Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly

That's definitely something I need to do, but I think I narrowed down the turn signal problem. I started the car today and got the turn signals working correctly then started moving wires and it died. Just gotta find the right one now.

Ok, it turns out it was purely coincidental the car was dying as I played with the wires. I bought an ignition switch over the weekend and finally pulled the covers off the column after work today. And wouldn't you know it, half the switch was pulled apart in the center because of the notorious crimp failure. The new switch works perfectly and solved 2 possibly 3 issues I was having. The turn signals are no longer hot when the car is off, the car doesn't die when I turn the signals on, and it may just have fixed a power drain I've had for a long time but have never had the time to properly track down. Thank you JRICHKER. You were, as usual, spot on.