Car Sputtering And Dieing When Starting After Car Sits 6+ Hrs??

Jordan Warta

Nov 29, 2015
I recently had my 1995 Mustang gt with 165,000 miles taken to a repair shop to get a total A/C overhaul because the compresser was locked up. Then as I was driving my car after it was fixed out of the parking lot, the car was idling up and down really badly and was not driveable (almost like a bad vacuum leak). The mechanics found out the CCRM was bad and replaced it, however this one was defective and it screwed up the fuel pump. So they replaced those, as well as battery ground wire and some other wires.

When I got home that day I replaced the o2 sensors as the car had CEL light on since March due to a bad o2 after midpipe installed.

This brings me to the PROBLEM, ever since I installed the o2 or the mechanics did whatever they did (not sure what is causing the issues but my car drove fine home from mechanics or maybe it was already warm so symptoms did not show); Anyways when my car sits overnight and I go to start it in the morning it starts fine, but then it sputters almost dieing maybe happened 8 out of 10 times in past few weeks. If I restart it instantly it starts and runs fine. A few times this happened the battery light went off. Also sometimes if I back up or go forward after starting it after it has sat overnight, it will almost act like it is going to die and it loses power/hesitates but then picks up and drives fine again. Another thing I have noticed on starts after it sits for a while is the exhaust not consistent, and this makes it more likely for it to hesitate. This hesitation, has occured alot more often since the car went to the mechanics, it maybe happened twice rarely I took it to the mechanics.

When the car is already warmed up i.e. if I drive somewhere 10 miles down the road then get back in and drive these symptoms do not show up. I drove it 200 miles home with no issues. New battery as of January, alternator tested in January and it was good.

Some other points, not sure if I am imagining it or didn't notice it before but sometimes I smell gas after turning the car off outside the car. Also one time when the car hesitated when driving the headlights flickered, another situation the battery gauge fluctuated a bit. So not sure if its electrical issue or fuel related.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas on what this may be before I spend more money?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Do the standard thing and dump the codes.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL(Check Engine Light) isn’t on. I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

If you don't get anything but an 11, replace the ignition switch.

Reactions: 1 user
Do the standard thing and dump the codes.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL(Check Engine Light) isn’t on. I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

If you don't get anything but an 11, replace the ignition switch.
I had no trouble codes for this issue I did buy an ignition switch but haven't got around to replacing.

I did however swap out the catted x-pipe for an offroad h-pipe, and I tested it out driving and immediatly on accelerating the CEL light went on for 10 sec then went off then did this about three more times before turning off for good. Scanned and got codes o2 sensor always lean code for CM and KOER codes (were not there before installing offroad pipe). I noticed there is a ticking when accelerating too and car feels slower than before installing offroad midpipe. Is this probably an exhaust leak so I should check all the connections for the headers to midpipe to catback?

I had no trouble codes for this issue I did buy an ignition switch but haven't got around to replacing.

I did however swap out the catted x-pipe for an offroad h-pipe, and I tested it out driving and immediatly on accelerating the CEL light went on for 10 sec then went off then did this about three more times before turning off for good. Scanned and got codes o2 sensor always lean code for CM and KOER codes (were not there before installing offroad pipe). I noticed there is a ticking when accelerating too and car feels slower than before installing offroad midpipe. Is this probably an exhaust leak so I should check all the connections for the headers to midpipe to catback?

Yes.
An exhaust leak can set codes 41 and 91.