Car squeaks at idle

03_TrueBlue_GT

May 5, 2010
Houston, Tx
Hey guys I got a problem with my Mustang making a squeaking noise in the morning when the car is first started. Whenever I get ready to go to school I turn the car on 5 mins before Im about to leave to let it warm up and I have a very noticeable squeak that sounds like its coming from the transmission clutch pedal area. When I apply a slight amount of pressure on the clutch pedal from my foot the squeak goes away. Now someone on another forum mentioned that my TOB could be going out and I have no idea what that is, but I was thinking that maybe its the clutch line or pedal needing to be tightened. Also the car doesnt do this in the afternoon or night it only does this on the first start of the day....

So any idears as to tighten the line or is what the TOB is? Thanks for the help btw!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The TOB or "release bearing" is used to transfer axial force (the clutch pedal moving the clutch release arm) to the spinning diaphragm spring. It sits on the input shaft collar of the transmission, just behind the clutch cover & diaphragm spring:

clutchcut.png

When these bearings go they often make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, when they are loaded, not released when there is little force on them. Noises typically range from a howl or whine to a rumble etc.

It's possible the release arm pivot is dry and the squeak you hear is that and not the TOB. A little bit of pressure on the pedal loads the fulcrum and stops the squeak. Does the car have an adjustable clutch cable or quadrant? If so, it may be adjusted a little tight which is loading the bearing against the diaphragm and the release arm is moving due to a bit of runout or something.

Getting to the pivot to lube it is tough as it's inside the bellhousing (passenger side).

Oh man thanks for the help that diagram really helps too. Oh and the noise doesnt happen when I press the clutch pedal down it only squeaks when its ideling without me in the car. I hope the TOB isnt going out cause that would suck to take it apart to just replace it.... Im going to try to adjust the clutch cable first... Thanks!:nice: